EvenHeat Oven?

Hi All,

I started making knives a few months ago, and have come to the conclusion that I really need to get a HT oven since I'm going to stick with knifemaking long term.

I noticed that www.usaknifemaker.com only carries EvenHeat ovens, and was wondering if perhaps I should consider a Paragon. I have never used either, but it seems that the Paragon is about 2x the price of the EvenHeat. I have a hard time beleiving that the Paragon is that much better, but I may be wrong.

I like to hear from anyone who has had experience using EvenHeat ovens; either positive or negative. Also, does anyone know if the EvenHeat requires the purchase of a separate stand? I'm thinking about the 22.5 EvenHeat with a Rampmaster control.

Thanks!

I just ordered an Evenheat from Tracy (the 22.5 220v w/rampmaster control). I was looking at the Paragon's, too, but I heard that their customer service has gone way downhill.

Last edited:
I have the Even Heat with the Set Pro controller in 18" and I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER . It does everything I want and if I need anything bigger can turn a blade sideways to gain more room. I personally was put off by the small fire chamber on the PARAGONS I see.

I have had my even heat for 13 years, it was 10 years before I burned out my 1st thermocouple and another hear before I burned out my 1st element. I'm sure a paragon will give you the same reliability but the advantages to the even heat as I see it are 1) the even heat has a larger cavety, the paragon is very narrow. 2) the price, with a paragon you are paying for a fancy package and the door opening lever is admittedly nicer, the even heat is a very simple unit but it's more than adequate.

If you want to save a little money, go with the even heat, it's a very good oven.

I Looked at both Paragon and Even Heat.

I've got the Even Heat 18" with the 4 program set-pro control.

Pull the trigger on the Even Heat.

BC

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I may be ordering an EvenHeat once I get a few things paid off. I had heard that an EvenHeat did not keep a consistent temperature when compared with the Paragon, but I guess that's just hearsay juding by all the positive responses.

Does anyone know if the metal stand is included with the price of the EvenHeat? Is the stand even necessary.

Yes it comes with a stand and yes it is required. It doesn't get too hot around the oven but I don't think it wise to put it directly on something. I have a 22.5" and love it.

I have the Evenheat 22.5 w/set-pro controller. After 2 years,no complaints. I don't see the temp. fluctuation as a problem, only about 5 degrees @ 1800. I read that could be dialed in even closer but I think it's more air temp fluctuation. Items in the oven are a more consistant and stable temp.

Money well spent in my opinion! !mo money

We have both an Evenheat and Paragon. The door on the Paragon, while it has a nice lever handle, hinges down to the front so you have to reach in over a HOT door. Our Paragon also tends to run past the preset heat more than the Evenheat does. Evenheat gets the nod from me.

I love my Even Heat too. I like the bigger size inside as it lends itself to more than just blades. I can put a crucible in there if I want to.

disclaimer - I am an Evenheat dealer so believe what you want here.

Several years ago I did a lot of research between the two companies when I was shopping for mine. I ended up with the Evenheat and setpro controller. The controller works fine once you get past a couple quirky button pushes at power up. The oven is rock solid and replacement parts are available. I also didn't care for the fold down door Paragon has. Those bricks get pretty darn hot and reaching across the swing down door was a drawback for me. The Evenheat had a brass latch and you learn after the first time to never touch that again. I bang mine open with a set of tongs. The brass latch has been replaced with a different handle design so that is not an issue anymore.

They both heat and maintain temp well. They both have a choice of controllers. They are both from good companies. Honestly, you won't go wrong with either one but my experience with Evenheat since I became a dealer this last year has been exceptional. I can vouch for them as company concerned about being good to their customers.

On a tangent, I have been working with Evenheat on developing a new, smaller model oven. This new model is going to be perfect for folder and mokume makers. It's close to done and the second prototype is being built for testing. More details on that later when we get it finalized.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably be ordering one from you as soon as I pay some bills and make some room in my shop.

[QUOTE=BossDog;14961]disclaimer - I am an Evenheat dealer so believe what you want here.

Several years ago I did a lot of research between the two companies when I was shopping for mine. I ended up with the Evenheat and setpro controller. The controller works fine once you get past a couple quirky button pushes at power up. The oven is rock solid and replacement parts are available. I also didn't care for the fold down door Paragon has. Those bricks get pretty darn hot and reaching across the swing down door was a drawback for me. The Evenheat had a brass latch and you learn after the first time to never touch that again. I bang mine open with a set of tongs. The brass latch has been replaced with a different handle design so that is not an issue anymore.

They both heat and maintain temp well. They both have a choice of controllers. They are both from good companies. Honestly, you won't go wrong with either one but my experience with Evenheat since I became a dealer this last year has been exceptional. I can vouch for them as company concerned about being good to their customers.

On a tangent, I have been working with Evenheat on developing a new, smaller model oven. This new model is going to be perfect for folder and mokume makers. It's close to done and the second prototype is being built for testing. More details on that later when we get it finalized.[/QUOTE]

I have a 18.5" Evenheat oven also. Had it for a couple of years and I like it a lot. I like it because it was wider than the Paragon too.
-John

The 18" EH oven is the one I am eye balling too. I just need to get the coinage together. It sounds like a winner so pull the trigger.

I love my Even Heat, 13.5 inch with set pro controller, I would get the Rampmaster control and 18 inch model, if I ever bought another one.

Back