Entry-level Graver

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
Hello all! I’m looking for an entry-level pneumatic (I think) graver. I’m currently using a dremel with “ok” results, but my cuts are not nearly clean enough. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Kevin, having done some engraving on black powder firearms, I will suggest that you try hand ( hammer and chisel) engraving first. It's much less expensive and very satisfying to learn. All you need to purchase is a couple of gravers, a hammer, some graver practice plates, and you are off to the races!. If you are interested, I can make some recommendations on specific materials and some very good books to add to your knowledge base.
Bruce

Hello all! I’m looking for an entry-level pneumatic (I think) graver. I’m currently using a dremel with “ok” results, but my cuts are not nearly clean enough. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

What are you attempting to do with it?

Kevin, having done some engraving on black powder firearms, I will suggest that you try hand ( hammer and chisel) engraving first. It's much less expensive and very satisfying to learn. All you need to purchase is a couple of gravers, a hammer, some graver practice plates, and you are off to the races!. If you are interested, I can make some recommendations on specific materials and some very good books to add to your knowledge base.
Bruce
Thanks! I was thinking about the old fashioned way. Yes I’m very interested in learning more.
What are you attempting to do with it?
I’ve been just playing around making scrolls and little drawings and such. When I google it, I see a very wide range in price. I was really mainly wondering if the cheap ones are ok? I find the process to be very calming. Really just a play around thing.

Well Kevin you been knocking it out of the park with the lil you have.So I am sure you will do fine with wat ever you get.

Well Kevin you been knocking it out of the park with the lil you have.So I am sure you will do fine with wat ever you get.
Thanks Rick! I appreciate the confidence! I’m getting pretty close to getting a grinder. Started demo on carport today!!! New carport means new shop means new grinder baby!

I'm also interested in learning the art of graving,with my scrimshaw background it shouldn't be to big of a learning curve,I suppose learning what gravers ro use and how to sharpen them. I actually have a list of parts compiled to make my own power unit but am thinking about purchasing the hand unit and also a gravers vise.

Hi Kevin, my brother has a working graver miser he would sell, not sure what goes with it asking $ 750.00 for it, they make a little noise but guys are still using them, if interested let me know. Deane

Last edited:
Back