Entertaining Vietnam

Lagrange

Ray, if I never told you this, you have my most profound and heartfelt gratitude for your service. My father did two tours in Vietnam. It was the longest and most memorable time of my life.

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Ray, if I never told you this, you have my most profound and heartfelt gratitude for your service. My father did two tours in Vietnam. It was the longest and most memorable time of my life.
Eric, I think you may have already thanked me but thanks again. I never gave to much thought about those that were left at home. It was just my parents when I was there. I always tried to make it sound like I was bored to death when I wrote a letter home and 99% of the time I was telling the truth. Fortunately when there was some trouble it was nothing major and just seemed like part of the job. 2 weeks ago the fellow that was my platoon Sgt came by for a short visit. Funny how war stories change from person to person. Besides being in Nam we got to tour Cambodia for a week and a half. We were sorta set up in a good sized area. When I say sorta is we never got the supplies we needed but did have plenty of ammo. The last night we were there we did some mad minutes where you fire off a whole bunch of ammo so you don't need to haul it out when you leave. Later that night a couple hours before day light we got hit but it was on the opposite area from where I was located. I woke up at day break and the first thing I heard was, hey Sgt Frog, did you hear we got hit? No kidding, I slept like a baby. My position was right in front of the 155's. Artillery pieces that fire a 6" diameter round and they would normally fire most the night. Little things like incoming mortar fire and small arms were pretty hard to hear. When I first came into country I wondered if I would ever be able to sleep. End of story.