Elk and Olive Wood Hunters

John Wilson

A couple pics of a set of three that I recently finished. Handles are Elk antler and Olive wood. Blades are brut de forge 1075. These are big knives. The blades are roughly 6-1/2 inches long and the knives are roughly 12 inches overall.

In keeping with the rustic frontier theme, I dyed the leather using coffe / coffee grounds and a touch of mahogany leather dye. I made the beads on the lanyards from a tine off the same antler that I made all three of the handles from.

E179F756-5091-414A-9EBD-7BA0A35AE957.jpegDDC70F98-CEA6-4C9C-AB3E-3AAC713FAB87.jpeg12AB25F8-6377-4614-9B82-59340F376064.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool. How did you make the heart insignia in the elk??

Hey Dennis, I used my laser machine. I did the brand on the leather sheaths with it as well. I was nervous laser engraving the elk, but it turns out that it engraved super easy with no excessive heat.

Those are nice John. I didn't know you were forging now. did you build one?

I do very little forging. With that in mind I picked up a secondhand Atlas mini forge. It’s handy.. but it’s very small. People keep requesting these Crocodile Dundee sized knives. I’m going to need a more capable forge if I keep taking on these projects.

Back