Electrical question

Lagrange

I dont know if this is the proper location for this question (the moderators can move it if its wrong)

I am setting up a room in my house to do my leather work. I also have computers and lights and printers, scanners, etc to set up.
My problem is that there are only three outlets in the room. Each electrical outlet has two connections. I have way more things I need to plug in.
I hate the idea of using power strips to power everything. It is unsightly and I believe might be too dangerous.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me?

If you get power strips with breakers and the breakers are equivalent to what the outlet/circuit they are plugged into can handle then it should actually be safer because the breaker on the strip should kick before overheating the wires in the wall and having the breaker/fuse on the box kick. Alternativly just run another circuit or 2 from the main panel.

I'm going to assume that that 2 of the outlets branch off of one outlet that goes directly to your breaker panel. I'll further assume that it's a 15 amp circuit running off of 14-2 wire. It could also very well be that your lights are tied into the same circuit, depending on who wired your house. If not, that's all the better.

From what I recall, the NEC doesn't actually specify a maximum amount of outlets that can be tied into a circuit. That said, I think the most that the average electrician would feel comfortable with is somewhere around 8 (typically two for each wall). Granted, this makes no difference if you plug a 10 amp appliance into one outlet, and a 5 amp into another, as you've then reached the maximum load for your circuit.

That said, your computer, printer and scanner (which should be plugged into a surge protector anyway, thereby using only one outlet) should be drawing very little current. I think the average desktop and monitor may draw at most about 1.5amps (probably less). Your printer and scanner aren't continously used anyway, but they shouldn't draw more than an 1A or so.

A hundred watt light bulb draws about .87A, so you could easily have half a dozen of those or so, and still have plenty room left on the circuit for a few other low amperage tools.

So one option is to get some "old work" electrical boxes and run some wires off of your existing outlets utilizing attic/crawl space or basement. You can also just as easily run a brand new circuit to your panel if you have room for another 15A breaker (or buy the "split" breakers)

The easiest/cheapest option may be to just buy some 6 outlet wall mount surge protectors (or just regular adapters) that screw directly over your existing outlet. That way you can turn your 3 outlets (6 plugs) into 18 plug ins.

If your planning on adding plug in lights, you may consider hardwiring some new/additional light fixtures instead. This will free up outlet space as well.

BTW, I'm not an electrician, I just play one on TV.

Last edited:
Eric,

If you are going to use commercial type equipment, heavy duty sewing machine, sander, buffer, drill press in the room I would treat it like a commercial unit in that room. That's what I did in my bedroom/shop in which I do my leather work and gunsmithing. I followed this from the NEC as a guide for safety in my home.

For commercial NEC requires each receptacle outlet to be calculated at 180 VA [220.14(I)]. Therefore, the maximum number on a 20A circuit would be 13.

Circuit VA = Volts x Amperes
Circuit VA = 120V x 20A
Circuit VA = 2,400 VA
Number of Receptacles = 2,400 VA/180 VA
Number of Receptacles = 13

Note: According to the NEC Handbook, published by the NFPA, general-purpose receptacles aren't considered a continuous load.

Now I also don't run two pieces of equipment at the same time. I ran two 220 circuits into the room also. I left my lighting on the general house circuit it was on.

I know sounds like over kill, but I knew how to do the work myself and it only cost me materials. NEC does not regulate in a home the number of outlets, but they are not expecting you to run a shop in a residence. IMHO

George

Last edited:
Thanks for the info George, that's interesting stuff. I dont have any power equipment I plan to run in the room...at least not yet.

Back