Easy fix for broken tip

Self Made Knives

Fixed a knife for a friend, might give you an idea of how to fix one.

[video=youtube;aCz7E1Wn87k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCz7E1Wn87k[/video]

Drew Riley

Nice job Anthony! I've done the same for a few knives myself. The other thing about making repairs from the edge side, is that sometimes you might leave the edge exposed when closed, if you have to take it up too far. Going from the spine TO the edge, this won't likely happen.

Drop points are my favorite to fix. Clip points with swedges get a little more tricky.... ;)

Self Made Knives

Hey Drew, I need to start pitching my video ideas to you before I start. You seem to think of things that I didn't, then I wish I'd put those ideas in the video. It didn't really occur to me that the tip of a blade might stick up and catch if you ground the bottom. That would've been a good thing to mention in the video, oh well, too late now. What's your consultation fee, I've got a couple more ideas in the works? :biggrin:

Drew Riley

Hey Drew, I need to start pitching my video ideas to you before I start. You seem to think of things that I didn't, then I wish I'd put those ideas in the video. It didn't really occur to me that the tip of a blade might stick up and catch if you ground the bottom. That would've been a good thing to mention in the video, oh well, too late now. What's your consultation fee, I've got a couple more ideas in the works? :biggrin:

Well, before you hacked your beard off, I'd have done it for free..... ;)

I'm sure we could both benefit from each other's input from time to time. For instance, i probably need to work on throwing some editing in every now and again. :15:

I'm always thinking of something I wish I would have added when I finally hit that upload button. Sometimes I'll throw it in the video description, or make a small follow up, but in your case, I wouldn't sweat it.
I recall regrinding a tip on a Puma Protec clip point lockback folder (that's a mouthful), and due to the finish on the blade, and the fact that it was clip point, I actually opted to grind from the front and then blend the edge back in. In that case, however, the tip wasn't snapped off too far back, and I had room to do so and still make it look good.

Speaking of.... I recently did this to one of my favorite daily carries (long story):
Oops by AR Custom Knives (Andrew Riley), on Flickr

I debated re-grinding/fixing the tip, but I think it will look a little out of proportion at that point. :sad:

Maybe not though.... I may just take it apart and make a whole new knife based on the design. I always liked this one.

Self Made Knives

Beard discrimination! Who'd of thought? I go through the same thing every year, I don't shave from October to April. Nobody notices the change in the fall, but come springtime, everybody is shocked. Back to knives, I have debated on completely re-blading a folder just to see it I could pull it off. Might be fun challenge, not a profitable one, but interesting.

Drew Riley

Beard discrimination! Who'd of thought? I go through the same thing every year, I don't shave from October to April. Nobody notices the change in the fall, but come springtime, everybody is shocked. Back to knives, I have debated on completely re-blading a folder just to see it I could pull it off. Might be fun challenge, not a profitable one, but interesting.
I think it's called "facial profiling" and I've fallen victim as well. ;)

I haven't shaved in over 10 years, though I've trimmed it a number of times. My wife and kids have never seen me without a beard. Maybe one day I'll surprise everybody....

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
Anthony, that sure is a nice looking grinder, except, I thought that they were supposed to be BLUE.

:s12137: