Drill bit sizes??

Frankallen

What letter or size drill bit do I need for 3/16" and 5/32" Pins for Scales?? First time I ever ordered this size brass pins.Would be nice to have a chart..... Any help appreciated!!:3:

Frank

Frank, I use the listing for drill bits in my Jantz catalog as a reference. Just note the decimal size of the of the bit for the fractional size bit of the same size of the pin you are using and then go to the letter, number, or metric listings to get something about 0.01 larger. From what I see listed, you will probably do ok with a #11 bit for the 3/16" pin and a #22 for the 5/32". From experience, mic your pin stock first and go by the actual, not listed size. The first knife that I pinned scales to I used some 1/4" copper rod and it went fine into a 1/4" hole that I drilled into the scales and tang. The next knife I did I used 1/4" brass rod and it wouldn't fit. After much head scratching and words my mother wouldn't be proud off, I finally thought of measuring the rods. The copper rod was just a tad undersized.

Doug Lester

I mic mine and usually polish up the pin with a 65x norax belt. This will usually shave a couple thousandths and then I just use the fractional bit.

I use a bit the same size as my pins, Then I stick the pins in my drill press and file them just a little.
I like doing this because it gives the pin something for the epoxy to bite on.

Back