Donated this Knife

opaul

Our church is having a youth auction in a few weeks and I decided to donate this knife for the cause. It's been a while since I 've attended one since my daughters are grown and have left home. But I remember pies going for $500 and then the buyer donating it back to the church if they auctioned off slices. All in all a good time with money going to support our church youth.

Nice opaul, hope it brings a top dollar. on the flip side, auction often generate sales.
lots of people handle the knife and lots of people want it, but only one walks away with it.
if it get into a bidding frenzy, some folks insist on not going home empty handed.

There is going to one very happy bidder and I suspect quite a few dissapointed ones when that one goes on the block OP. That set of scales really are a nice colour progression and really draw the eye to the balance point of the knife. I really like how the red almost mirrors the blade grind.

There is going to one very happy bidder and I suspect quite a few dissapointed ones when that one goes on the block OP. That set of scales really are a nice colour progression and really draw the eye to the balance point of the knife. I really like how the red almost mirrors the blade grind.
Thank you Von! I actually layed out the scales with that in mind. It's amazing what grain orientation and blade curvature or sweep does to the appearance of a completed knife.

Yeah! When they raffled off the two I made one young guy stood up right when they raffled the second and shouted, "Awww...man!!!" and threw his ticket down on the table...he didn't win it...lol! Cracked me up...

Thank you Von! I actually layed out the scales with that in mind. It's amazing what grain orientation and blade curvature or sweep does to the appearance of a completed knife.
If you're paying attention...which you always are...lol!

The red portion of the handle is a mirror to the flat part of the blade...very cool.

That was what I meant when I said the red almost mirrors the blade grind in as far as the grind line against the unground portion.
Got it, my bad. I was reading what you said but thinking it meant something else. I debated on the position of the red pattern, and thought it looked best on top and up forward. I really like this type of scale, with the epoxy fill around the voids.

It does have a certain appeal. Do you just use the same epoxy for handle fitting to fill the void in a mould and is there any britleness with doing that?? I have put scales in the discard bin for not having enough wood to make a full handle

Well now,,,,,,,,,,not so sure I planned that but you are exactly right! :)
I think often we do the right/best thing in design from an intuitive bent without really analyzing things. Your brain is still processing but not in an intellectual sense...all creative. been there done that...lol!

It does have a certain appeal. Do you just use the same epoxy for handle fitting to fill the void in a mould and is there any britleness with doing that?? I have put scales in the discard bin for not having enough wood to make a full handle
I get these from a business that stabilizes and produces this type of scale.

Back