Do any of you guys sell in local retail shops? How do you go about doing that?

GrizzlyKnives

Hey guys. Recently I branched out past local classifieds on Facebook to a couple of hunting gear pages that have members all over. I've had a couple of people contact me with interest in placing some knives for sale in their hunting gear shops.

What is the best way to go about this with minimal risk? Do any of you guys sell knives through another shop? Do you sell your knives at full price to the shop who then marks them up...or do you go on good faith and send them knives to sell, they mark them accordingly and then send you money when they sell?

I'd like to do this if there is a logical way of doing so. I've looked into the people who have contacted me and they do run credible, well established businesses...doesn't seem like it's some joker wanting to get some free knives.

I want to hear all takes on this to help me make the right decision.

Thanks guys!

Generally speaking, you're going to have to give whomever retails your knive a "discount". The going rate these days for custom knives purveyors is around 30% is they purchase outright, or around 20% if the take the knife/knive on consignment.

I'm very picky about who handles/retails my knives. Most of the sporting goods outfits around here want a 40%, or even a 50% discount! NOT!

It's hard for them to retail at a higher price then you sell for.....what's to keep the customer from looking you up and coming directly to you.....that will really tick off a business/retailer quicker then you can blink.

Best thing to do is see what they have in mind at their end first. You'll know if it's a reasonable plan where you both profit or you become the slave. Presumably they know how to market their products and could be to your benefit.

With a local gun shop, I went the consignment route. Establish a fair market price and give them a cut (20%) for showcasing the knife or knives. Retain access to your knives in case you make the sale yourself. Ask for a prominent place in their case, not some obscure corner with a bunch of junk piled into it. I've been to places where the knives are a jumbled mess piled on top of each other. Right at the check out case is good, lots of people don't want to go home with extra cash to hand over to the wife, impulse buy. Rotate your stock every couple months even if it's just one knife at a time. After about 60 days, everyone has seen or handled it and it/they lose intrest. You may get a call right after taking one because the customer was on the fence about it. Make sure you and the store owner are aware of who has what. I keep a small notebook that we both initial when taking or bringing in a new knife. Don't sell the same/ similar knife at a discount or higher price than what was marked in the store, word gets around. Above all, leave lots of cards and make sure the clerk or owner will wipe down the knife after being handled, nobody wants one that has paw prints all over the blade. They're looking for a new looking product, especially if it's a custom. I go in weekly when I do have some for sale just to check myself and stay in touch.

Rudy

I sell in a local shop close by. The owner gets 25%. We discuss what price he thinks the market will bear and go from there. I pretty much trust his judgement but sometimes over ride it depending upon circumstances. If someone comes to my shop saying they saw it at his shop and buy it from me, I give him his commission. To me, the idea is to sell my work, and to make it worthwhile for both of us, and most importantly, keep it equitable.
Which brings up how makers price their work...t+m, what the market will bear, time of year (hunting season), house pmt due, whatever? Let's hear it...
John

Back