Didnt strike gold.

Tod Lowe

I previously started a thread about a friends dad buying a tannery and me getting piles of leather.
I went to pick it up today and it was gone.:( Apparently a hired hand must have "done something with it". I did get a big box of scraps so i cant be totally bummed out. He had told me there was bundles of leather that are gone. He is going to try and find out what happened to it.

Questions:
In one pic you can see a pic of some dirty leather. Whats the best way to clean it?

Last edited:
You still did OK. That is exactly what Saddle Soap is for. Don't be too worried about a little dirt and stains. A lot of that will be really toned down when you dye it. Give it a good cleaning with saddle soap and let it dry completely then dye it. Try multiple colors, a light tan and then rubs or splashes of darker brown or even orange. Get a variegated look. You scored. That is a lot of leather.

Yeah Jeff.
Some of this stuff is pretty good and it was free so i cant complain.
I think his dad changed his mind about giving the stuff away really. Why would they leave the box of scraps and throw away the bundled stacks?
The kid said it still might turn up in one of the other storage units if theguy moved it.

Oh well.

Thanks for the tips boss! Saddle soap. Got it.
Some of this stuff is cut and marked to be used on saddles.

Back