Daniel’s KITH WIP

Daniel Macina

I don’t have very much time in the shop today and I’m almost out of propane so we won’t get very far this time but I’m gonna start on my KITH knife.

starting with some 1/4” 80crv2 because that’s what I had laying around.675C0C6D-01AD-4280-B6D8-D3A7A37F384A.jpeg

The plan is something simple like my drop point hunter but with a few things I’ve never done like forging in a distal taper and Tapered Tang, forging bevels, And a handle material I’ve never worked with and finish I’ve never done. Also Something special for the sheath.

The goal is maybe not the prettiest knife but a clean bulletproof work knife.8E7222B7-AE33-472A-8F51-6561EEC1B5C5.jpeg

Stay tuned…

Last edited:
Rough point forged in. Not concerned about it being too exact or pretty at this point since I’m going to be tapering it in the next step which will mess with the profile anyways. First time doing this so it’s probably not the right way. ;)69256C09-A48A-4A23-A8B8-08A66C7F43F7.jpeg

Then we use the corner of the anvil to put some grooves in to help with the tapering.205B608C-88D0-4EDD-94B4-A059E8728A0F.jpeg

Stay tuned…

Ran out of propane so this is all for today. Hard to see in the picture but got a pretty good taper started. Couple spots need cleaning up but that will all happen as I finish forging the blade. I will also taper it more than it is now but need toGet the profile closer firstECF47981-451A-4FA9-98E2-E4ACF75E60CF.jpeg5555055F-5D74-458A-9107-3637DAD5A62F.jpeg122028A4-01F5-490F-BFCB-E2EB8FA17B27.png

You are getting after it. Solid plan and a good start. BTW: How wide is your anvil. It looks big.
Thank you! I do not recall the width off the top of my head I will get it tomorrow though and let you know. It is 163 pound arm and hammer anvil.

You’re not letting any grass grow under your feet are ya son? Looking good. I’m still changing my mind several times a day deciding what to build. :D

Trying not to! Have several orders one of which is quite large so I kind of needed to go ahead and start on this before I got started on the big order. I hear you and deciding what to build. I had all sorts of cool stuff I wanted to do but needed something fairly simple to work in between other projects. Can’t wait to see what you decide to make.

Daniel: Do I read the KITH list correctly showing that I'm going to be the proud recipient of your knife? Since I haven't forged a knife I'm really excited to watch your progress...and, if you don't mind, as questions.
FWIW, I'm located near Bozeman Montana - I'll PM my address separately.
Bob Julian (MT Bob)

Daniel: Do I read the KITH list correctly showing that I'm going to be the proud recipient of your knife? Since I haven't forged a knife I'm really excited to watch your progress...and, if you don't mind, as questions.
Bob Julian (MT Bob)
Daniel does great work. You’re a lucky guy Bob!

Bob Julian (MT Bob)
I believe you are correct. Ask away that’s what these threads are for! Just keep in mind this is my first time doing some of this stuff as well so it might not be the proper way of doing it. ;)

Ok... here I go with questions:
Is forging 80CRV2 any different than say working with 1075 or 1084? What benefits do you see in using 80CRV2 steel over other high carbon steels?

Ok... here I go with questions:
Is forging 80CRV2 any different than say working with 1075 or 1084? What benefits do you see in using 80CRV2 steel over other high carbon steels?

it is slightly harder to forge under the hammer then 1084 or 1075 but it is not too bad. I am no expert but i use 80crv2 when I want a tough as nails steel. In my testing it is some super tough stuff. Somewhat Hard to sharpen but it holds an edge forever so that’s just one trade off. I use it in place of 5160.

OK I didn’t get pictures of the rest of the forging Partly because I kept forgetting to take pictures and I didn’t want to completely bore y’all to death but we ended up with this. 100% forged at this point aside From correcting a little fish mouth issue at the tip that would’ve turned into a cold shut and lobbed a little extra steel I didn’t need off of the end. Hard to see but I’m pretty proud of the distal taper. I know I should’ve tried to forge the bevels in but I struggle a lot with forging bevels and didn’t want to mess this one up. Thanks for looking! 2985382A-C5BA-417E-947E-DB2671D5FE58.jpegB13CF159-0CE4-41A8-BCD2-5BD31D7B12C2.jpeg2D628D20-D1EB-49A9-BC91-9C118FCBEF88.jpeg

Back