Damascus welding

MikeS

Good morning to everyone.
just a quick gee-whiz question.
In my gas forge what do you folks think if I made a fitted stainless bottom shelf to protect the liner from the borax flux? I’m trying to prolong my liner life.
thanks
Mike

jmforge

Buy a large kiln floor/shelf tile and cut to the size you need with a masonry cutoff wheel

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Stainless won't work/last nearly as well as ceramic (what kiln shelf is made of). Stainless will erode almost as quickly as mild steel if you're working at welding temps.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
I have often thought of cutting a piece of steel and applying a thick coating of castable refractory to make a sacrificial floor but I have not tried it yet. The kiln shelf is an easier fix but I have the other stuff in the shop already so I like to try what I have first.

Gilbert M

I tried a ceramic shelf floor in one of my forges it melts pretty bad when the flux hits it, I got the shelf from a local pottery supply admittedly I'm not sure of the composition. I ended up putting some castable on top of it until I redo it. My other forge has a split hard fire brick and it works great.

jmforge

Gilbert, what happens to me is that the tile cracks eventually. But I get three "floors" per large shelf tile, so no biggy. Tracking that refractory supply stuff down locally can be a challenge at time.

KenH

I think this is a question for Ed, If the floor is poured with Kast-o-Lite how long does it last with the flux hitting the floor? How thick can cast-o-lite be poured?

MikeS

Thanks guys!
these tidbits really help. It looks like a ceramic floor shelf and cut to fit.
Ed thanks for your comments on the stainless not holding up that well at welding temp. i did not know this. This saves me time and $$$.
Mike

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Just as a side note..... Forges, and especially those that are used for welding, should be considered "consumables".....because there simply isn't anything out there/available that will hold up indefinitely under the uses/circumstances with put them through. Any welding forge is going to need patching/repair with time and use, and eventually need overhauled/rebuilt. After doing it for 30+ years, I think the longest I've ever had a castable welding forge last, before it needed a total rebuild, was about 4 years.....but I had patched that thing to the point of almost having replaced the entire lining. When I was using ceramic fiber liners, that time was reduced to relining every 3-6 months. Of course we all try our best to make our forges last as long as possible.....but it's always a good idea to have money stashed aside to pay for forge repair/replacement.....it's gona happen, and it's just less painful if you have the funds stashed away for it, versus having to be without a forge until you can save up. :) ;)