Cutting G10

Kev

What is everyone using to cut G10? I’ve used my table saw, and while it cut, it dulled the blade very quickly. Same with my metal cutting bandsaw, even at low speed. I’m not afraid of investing in tools, but if there’s an inexpensive alternative to buying blades I’d love to hear about it.
Thanks

For G10 Liners I have a pair of heavy scissors that I cut close to shape and then finish shaping with my grinder. For scales I've tried different approaches. The best I've found so far has been my metal cutting bandsaw. I tried my wood bandsaw one time and it chewed up the blade completely.

Right or wrong Idk but the best and fastest way I’ve found is with a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder just like I cut my bar stock. Definitely need to wear a respirator cause that dust is some nasty stuff and not at all good for you.

I needed to read this, I have been considering buying a tile saw but I would rather not if I can just use a bandsaw. Wonder how the Cobalt Blades @EdCaffreyMS hold up to G10?

g10 cuts very easy with a wet tile saw using a diamond blade. Other wise a good quality band saw (bi-metal) will work. If you use a circular saw, use carbide tip blades, go slow and expect the carbide blade to wear out faster than you have seen before. Use the cheap carbide blades as the expensive ones on g10 don't seem to last much longer.

I make knives full time....year round...in the shop everyday. I use bi-metal blades that cost $24 each. I use about two per year. I literally use my bandsaw several times a day....that includes steel and titanium and bronze and lots of g-10 and various other things.

That's $48 for a full year of daily making. I don't know how you can get any easier or economical than that.

I have not noticed any dulling on my metal bandsaw blades. Too low tension is what usually kills bandsaw blades.

I make knives full time....year round...in the shop everyday. I use bi-metal blades that cost $24 each. I use about two per year. I literally use my bandsaw several times a day....that includes steel and titanium and bronze and lots of g-10 and various other things.

That's $48 for a full year of daily making. I don't know how you can get any easier or economical than that.
What size bandsaw are you using? I have 2 and I might just be using the wrong one. Are you running any type of coolant?

What size bandsaw are you using? I have 2 and I might just be using the wrong one. Are you running any type of coolant?

I have a Jet 4"x6". It uses a 64 1/2" blade. I use Olson bi-metal blades with 18 TPI (Mostly because I can pick them up locally).

If I only used it to cut g-10 it would last forever.

I have a Jet 4"x6". It uses a 64 1/2" blade. I use Olson bi-metal blades with 18 TPI (Mostly because I can pick them up locally).

If I only used it to cut g-10 it would last forever.
I have a 7x12 that I bought for a good price, in my previous profession. I also have a porta-band. I’ve been using mostly the portable saw, and it would appear that is my mistake.
On the big saw I’ve used 1 blade for 6 years just cutting mild steel and aluminum.
I suppose it’s time to switch saws.

In my experience, any saw blade designed/designated for wood, should not be used for G10...... it'll wreck the blade in short order.

I learned a long time ago that it's best to cut any of the synthetics with a metal cutting saw/blade. I personally buy/use 8% cobalt blades for my portaband and my big 7x12 saw. Always 18tpi or finder for the portaband, and either 4-6 or 5-8 tpi for the larger saw....only because I usually cut much larger billets and other materials with the bigger saw.

I've also found that with my wood bandsaw, I have much better longevity when I order blades from a custom saw shop, that builds the blades on demand. (because they start with better blade material).

In my experience, any saw blade designed/designated for wood, should not be used for G10...... it'll wreck the blade in short order.

I learned a long time ago that it's best to cut any of the synthetics with a metal cutting saw/blade. I personally buy/use 8% cobalt blades for my portaband and my big 7x12 saw. Always 18tpi or finder for the portaband, and either 4-6 or 5-8 tpi for the larger saw....only because I usually cut much larger billets and other materials with the bigger saw.

I've also found that with my wood bandsaw, I have much better longevity when I order blades from a custom saw shop, that builds the blades on demand. (because they start with better blade material).
I found a local bandsaw blade maker here and was pleasantly surprised. He makes better blades and they are the same price or cheaper. I've got a big horizontal bandsaw and his blades were half the price of some of the online blade shops. Highly recommend looking up a local blade maker.

I tried using the bigger saw today and it went well. I don’t see any issues using it and I may have to fab some sort of small table to assist in using it vertically. I did run a small amount of coolant, I don’t know if it helped but it didn’t hurt anything.

Back