Cutting Carbon Fiber??????

jaysmith10

I have a piece of carbon fiber that is .40 thick and i was wondering what would be the easiest safest way to half it so i have two .20 pieces?
Any help would be greatly appreciate.
Jay

It's unrealistic to think you can cut it without some loss.
If you have an EDM, A thin wire cut would get you closest. In reality I'de go with a band saw. It's the lesser of all evils as far as kerf thickness. An alternative might be a jewelers saw with about a million + strokes.

Rudy

Thanks for the anwser Im gonna give the jewelers saw a try. Just wanted to see if there was a better option out there.
Thanks again for the help.

Will EDM cut carbon fiber? I have never tried it. Is the mat used to make it conductive?

Joe

Good question Joe.
I know I can etch with a carbon block, so it does transfer electricity. I don't know if the epoxy that encapsulates it would interfere with the current.

Rudy

I put a piece of carbon fiber in the wire the other day and it does cut. Did not cut much but it will.

Joe

I use a wet tile saw with a diamond blade and it cuts like butter.

I cut a 0.60" thick piece in half with a porta band mounted vertically. I made a fence to keep it straight. It wasn't two bad. I ended up with two 0.25" pieces when I got them flat. Took me about 10 minutes at most.
-John

Back