customs and knife shows abroad

lerman

Hello,
i'm attending a knife show in finland this january (i'm from Israel) and i don't have much experience with customs, i was tolled by my insurance agent that i'll need to fill an ATA Carnet document, but from what i undarstand it's only valid if i don't sell anything at the show.

i would like to know what is the right way to approach this, as i don't won't any trouble with customs.
do i need to declare my knives in any way?

i don't usually do this but it is quite urgent so please, if you have any info let me know.

thanks in advances.
Lee Lerman

Lee,
You need to contact Finish customs/Goverment, The rest is just here say. They are the only opinion that really matters!

This is just guessing so take this with a grain of salt.
I would contact the show promoters and ask them.
If it is not a brand new show it will be something they are familiar with.
Then I would attempt to contact some of the other knifemakers who attend the show and ask how they go about things.
If the customs people are anything like the ones in the US, you can ask 5 different agents and get 11 different answers.

I would also double check to make sure about bringing left over knives back into Israel.
also, an afterthought; your friends at ISAK might know what to do.
but you probably already asked them.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice Mark and Laurence, i did some of the above, let's hope it would be ok, i have another show in germany in may and this time i'll do my home work beforehand and not hope for luck, thanks again.

hi Mark, it's wasn't as good as i hoped it would be, i didn't sell any knives but did have the chance to meet some nice people, i don't think i'll do this show yearly, but it was worth a try, i was tolled by the local makers that the show wasn't as good as in previous years so it's not only me :)

Someone I know was there and said your knives looked very good.
He is the one who took these photos.
11735815595_f786f2c5a2.jpg

11736578976_04cd1458c5.jpg

11735826925_ca4ecbd92c.jpg

Last edited:
Back