current test mules

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
I haven't made any knives for sale since winter, a bit of burn out i guess. late spring I made some test mules to try new shapes and grinds. I have some blanks cut to make more, hope to get working on them soon, one will include the kith. the idea was to make a smaller knife that can handle 90% of kitchen chores but will be light weight and have a 4" to 5" blade. usually with a blade this short you are talking paring or pettie, something like this
paring1.JPG
my idea was a taller blade and the handle arranged so you can work over cutting board without banging your knuckles. so I have 2 sets. first set is about 45mm/1 3/4" at widest point, very little distal taper. total length is about 8" weight about 3.3 ounces. blade has very little flex.
paring3.JPG
second set is about 35mm/1 1/2" at widest, sharp point, lots of distal taper. again, total length about 8", weight range from 1.8 to 2.3 ounces. tip flexes about 20*.
paring2.JPG
this is a view of the spine and the edge

edgethickness.jpg goodedge.jpg
all are made of 1/16" O1 at Rc62-63, full tang, blade was ground at 2 degrees per side with about 10 degree microbevel. edge thickness is about 0.005", 1/2" about edge is 0.02.
i have used them for every kitchen cutting job except stuff like watermelon. I usually cook for two and can do almost all my prep with just one of these knives.

Last edited:
Those are thin looking blades, Scott. If I was to try making something like what you are showing us, I'd try for the dimensions of the last batch.

I really like the shape of the taller knives. I made this one recentlyout of 1/16 1095 and used cedar and ebony for the handle. I have not weighed it but because of the cedar it only weighs a very few ounces. Everyone who picks it up is amazed at the weight. The tru oil finish did a good job of hardening the cedar too you cannot nick it with a thumbnail. 0F28EA5D-FAF6-498B-9416-849C3B09FB40.jpegFC40170D-DCD9-4809-8027-DDB797B5CF8B.jpeg

45799-2156849a36b9d2a6ef3482a6f9d956a4.jpg

These look like the perfect small kitchen knife to me. I think the very top one would be ideal for me doin' prep work. But till you try 'em that's a hard guess...they all look real good to me....20degree flex? Perfect.

45799-2156849a36b9d2a6ef3482a6f9d956a4.jpg

These look like the perfect small kitchen knife to me. I think the very top one would be ideal for me doin' prep work. But till you try 'em that's a hard guess...they all look real good to me....20degree flex? Perfect.

Not sure why but I like the middle shape the best. Maybe because it looks more balanced but I bet they all cut.

there are 3 different handle shapes. i like the middle one because i have big hands. wife likes bottom one because of shorter, rounder handle fit better in her small hands. bottom one has most flex. seems to support the idea that geometry has more influence on flex than steel or heat treat. all five knives were cut from same piece of steel and had same HT. next time i go fishing, i will use one to filet small fish.

Back