Crazy wood prices?

Daniel Macina

Is it just me or are wood prices insane? I was looking at a lovely block of quilted Tasmanian Blackwood that was $75 bucks! Not a very big block either maybe enough for 2 sets of scales. I absolutely love wood but prices just seem a bit high. Maybe I'm just crazy.

If you have the ability to re-cut wood you might take a look at a wood turners supply store. I've gotten some good deals at them that way. I once picked up some Lignum vitae that had a defect one one side. I still got a set of scales out of the defective side and three blocks out of the rest and I don't think that I payed more than what a knifemakers supply store would have charged for a single block.

Doug

I'm gona "throw down" here....... the prices of wood "knife handle" materials is basically nothing more than greed. It's not about what's "fair", it's about "how much can I get away with charging" for it. Once again, you can thank Forged in Fire, along with the vast popularity of hobby level knifemaking. More and more I have become away of hobby level knifemakers who are willing to spend big money on wood handle materials, and then turn around and "sell" what they've made for less than the cost of the handle material.

When I see things like Maple Burl, Walnut, and other common/domestic woods being sold in undersized handle blocks with prices of $50+ I just have to shake my head. Anybody who's been around the knifemaking game for any time at all, knows full well that it's nothing more than price gouging.

The problem is that it all begins at the source..... those who actually harvest the woods know full well that they can get FAR more money by cutting "blocks" or "scales" and labeling them "for knifemaking", versus selling a given wood by the "board foot". So the cost is passed along to the retailers of said woods, and, in turn, to the knifemaker/consumer.

What I find interesting, and the main reason I make the above assertions, is when you start looking outside the usual "knifemaker" sources for wood handle materials, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in prices. You just have to do a bit of "digging", and you will see for yourself.

I have nothing against paying good money for materials but I feel like I get ripped off buying wood wood. I got a very small block of stabilized maple burl I believe it was and it was $65! Not what I would consider a very rare or exotic wood. I realize people have to make money at it but that was just ridiculous in my eyes. Ok sorry rant over.

While I love wood for handle material, I gone more and more to the synthetic material, G10 Micarta and occasionally carbon fiber, specifically for the reason Ed stated above.

Ed, is right about finding a source that is not interested in selling knife scales! Look for sources, that sell by the board foot. Even at that if you are buying something like, quilted Tasmanian Blackwood! You can expect to pay more, last time I checked Tasmania is not on the other side of the US!!

One of my big pet peeves with the scales or knife blocks is that most are cut so tight/small it is doubtful I will be able to use it. Once I pay the absorbent price they want and have it shipped here. I end up with something I can use for scales for a small pocket knife. Which is OK if I were building a small pocket knife but I need a block big enough for a large knife handle!! This yet another reason I like to buy by the board foot. I can be more picky about the piece I end up using on a knife handle!!

I feel like I have a unique perspective on this, being almost equally in the middle of this debate.

On one hand, I'm a maker that uses exclusively PREMIUM woods for handles. On the other, I occasionally sell blocks of wood for handles to other makers.

I feel there are some perspectives here and elsewhere that are slightly skewed towards the selfish/cheap side.

However, I admittedly have seen ridiculous prices on wood blocks on occasion. If you're paying $65 for a tiny maple burl block, that's kinda on you...just sayin'.

I used to think anything over $70 for any piece of premium wood was robbery. But you know what.....I was wrong. Some species of REALLY premium woods are REALLY hard to find and REALLY expensive if you do.

I've watched certain vendors post blocks at near $100 each that sell routinely in minutes, and often times in seconds....with a list of backup buyers. Can we really say they're priced too high when they sell like that? I can't.

Its simple economics....if supply is low and demand is high, the price goes up.

I used to think high end knifemaker must be rich.....until I became one. I also used to think material suppliers were gouging.....until I regularly starting selling blocks. Its not as easy as some would think.

Sure you can go to a lumber store and buy birdseye or curly maple, cherry, walnut, maybe bocote or wenge. But when was the last time you walked out of the local lumber yard with a 3 foot board of koa ripped with 5A curl, or amboyna burl, or redwood lace burl or premium buckeye burl? The answer is never. Because that stuff is rare and in high demand and, ergo....expensive.

There are hidden costs too one doesn't see on the surface. No one thinks free shipping is really free, do they? Stabilizing isn't exactly cheap. And most buyers want to pay with PayPal....guess what.....fees! Then blocks have to be cleaned up, and photographed, and individually numbered and both sides pictured and photos edited then posted to multiple forums and platforms.

That eats up some serious time. Not to mention all the hours spent sourcing that quality stuff. Who's time is free? Mine isn't.

But when I sell blocks, I try real hard to provide a high quality piece that's cut as close to 2" x 5" x 1" as possible and cheaper than most anyone else around, all things equal. And I will discount multiple blocks because shipping is cheaper. I also discount for non stabilized stuff for the same reason.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to offer info and personal experience from both sides.

another post on the size of blocks.....I am well aware that it takes a good sized block to make certain knives.

Most of my bowies I could make with a block 1 5/8" wide. I've done some with 1 1/2" blocks. That leaves almost no room for error and isn't always comfortable and I don't prefer to cut it quite that close, but it can be done. I've learned to make my handle shaping/fitting methods very precise.

If you can't make a hunter, even a big one, out of an 1 1/2" block, you might want to work on your design and precision.

There are a whole bunch of makers that leave 1/3 of a block of wood on the floor as sawdust......that's not the suppliers fault.

The un-engineered (solid) hardwood flooring is cheap and beautiful...some places sell samples. I bought some maple...I think the box was $60-ish? AMAZING wood...all of it? No...but enough to make it worth cherry picking...Just guessing here...but i think about $1-2 per knife? Haven't used it all yet....not stabilized so there's that to do.

Ed is spot on with getting creative on NON knife sources. The last knife show I went to I did NOT buy any wood....for the same reason I don't eat Rib-eye anymore...I can remember old prices...lol.

The guys selling wood on this forum are reasonable...and superior quality....sometime's giving me the fidgets!! My wife made me promise to not buy anymore wood till I am selling knives...lol. I got boxes...and some exhibition grade gunstock blanks for the real custom stuff i want to do....

I think I could be a wood hoarder with the right budget...

just fer instance....:

20 sq ft....makes a lot of knives! 2,880 sq inches....figure 24 sq inches for a large handle 3/4 x 2 x 6 for 1 scale...x 2 for the set. 120 handles...IF yield was perfect...not gonna be so lets subtract 30%....84 handles. divide $167 by 84....$1.99 per handle...I think a 30% unusable rate might even be a bit steep....so there ya go...

They're not going to have every wood you love...but every wood will most likely be a hard/tough variety.
In sizes EASY to cut, store, handle!

https://www.amazon.com/HARDWOOD-SMO...3&sr=1-26&keywords=acacia+solid+wood+flooring

Last edited:
I just want to make sure that we distinguish 'premium' from 'cool', 'pretty', 'nicely figured' etc....in the proper places in these conversations.

The flooring in the link is a perfectly legit source of economically priced material for sub $300 knives. The same material probably has no place on a $700+ knife.

So to keep this all in context.....$50+ for a
4 1/2" x 1 1/2" block of that flooring.......gouging, robbery etc.

$50+ for a 4 1/2" x 1 1/2" block of 5A curly koa, amboyna burl........perfectly legit.

The best part of being a consumer is the ability to just say "No!". If you think the price is too high, exercise that option. Eventually, in a free and educated market, those that charge too much will either lower their price or be eliminated from the market for lack of sales. The problem somewhat lies with the uneducated consumer that will pay whatever price a producer is willing to put on a product. Great wood is expensive. Good wood should be more moderately priced. Poor wood is just not worth the effort.

Other products come to mind on high pricing. A new vehicles. The price on one of those is getting ridiculous. I paid almost as much for my latest pickup than I did for the for the first house I purchased. But, I wanted it and chose to pay the price. My choice. I just wish that I would have gotten it much cheaper.

As a knife maker, I like the look of wood. Especially really nice wood. The best of the best redwood burl, buckeye, koa, blackwood, etc., etc., etc., tend to be more expensive than run of the mill stuff. I will pay a little more for that best selection. It gets priced accordingly. A lot of work, expense, and risk goes into cutting, shaping, sanding, marketing and shipping a little piece of wood.

I understand what Ed is saying about the market and I tend to agree. There are producers that just plain take advantage of the uneducated purchaser. I also see the point that John is making. From a producers perspective, there are unseen costs associated with providing the product that need to be considered. As a consumer, I have been looking into other ways to obtain the quality of wood that I desire at a cheaper rate. Unfortunately, there are risks associated with that alternative.

In the meantime, if I see wood that I like that is a price that I like, I am a buyer...

I agree with everyone here that the prices for wood are a little insane. I get most of my wood from about 4 sources. John Doyle, Jess Hoffman, little woodys stabilized wood (Jim Coffee) and most of my Koa from Kiran Abrams. There are a lot of places out there that do sub-standard stabilizing, so I stick with the people I trust.

I went back and reread my post and I have to apologize it came off as me going after Wood suppliers and pure cheapness on my part. It was not my intention. I shouldn't have posted I thread complaining like that and I apologize.

Nothing to apologize for as far as I'm concerned.

My posts were merely intended to point out that there is BOTH some irrationally high prices AND some lack of understanding as to what goes into sourcing, processing and selling woods.

Information sharing via these threads is the best way to help us all navigate the confusion.

Its a good topic.

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s opinion in this thread. It’s been a good discussion. I know is this is slightly different but building materials lumber is ridiculously high right now as well. I bought 2x6x16 treated floor joists for the new shop I’m building and thank God I shopped around. I intended to buy at menards because of the 11% rebate they do but they were 20$per. I checked some local mom and pop lumber yards and long story short, got them for 12.63$ per! Sooo instead of 600$+, it was more like 375$. I wound up getting the treated boards cheaper than non treated. I checked the big box stores first assuming they would have better prices and definitely found out otherwise! I will definitely be a repeat customer to the smaller business not only because of the price but because of the friendliness of the staff as well...
Sorry if that was slightly random but I was just blown away by how high it all is right now...

I tend to lean towards J. Doyle on this topic. While I'm not a high end maker I try to make reasonable priced knives with quality material. I don't use super high curly 5a koala but I do use nice blocks of koa stabalized just not as showy and most of my customers love it. I watch deals on wood or pay what I'm willing to pay for wood for the range of knives I make.
One thing hobbyist like me have to do is not get wrapped up in the bidding on blocks or you may really want a $80 piece of Koa but if you are going to put it on a $200 knife your gonna lose money.
Like J.Doyle said supply and demand.

The flooring in the link is a perfectly legit source of economically priced material for sub $300 knives. The same material probably has no place on a $700+ knife.

Exactly! for newer makers...or a guy trying to make limited-production sub $200 knives (Me...lol)

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way...but a piece of exhibition grade wood on a poorly constructed knife does not add to that knife.I think it does the opposite...if you can't finish the wood properly..it's pretty much a waste of good wood...You'll know when it's time to make the "jump".

My son just built a sheath for a custom knife that had a piece of beautiful blue dyed stabilized burl wood...finished so roughly that i was tempted to sneak a nicer finish on..but not my sandbox so...I resisted.

Back