Covid work out.

mike miller

KNIFE MAKER
22010FA2-F90F-4EE0-BBF6-1AF35BB6E8F7.jpeg2AFD9BEC-0872-43C4-A6FF-7AF2211DAF10.jpeg126879EB-64E4-4C84-A52B-B80C03C33627.jpegI am not a forger. I have all the equipment but normally only do it to make material. Something different you know. This last week we have some cool days so I fired up the gorge to play. This is my 4 th attempt at canister. Got it finished and spent another day flattening it out. I cut a blade out of one area to try.
During the grinding I was seeing promise.
52100 balls of 3/32 and a few of 1/8 thrown in.
I had two canisters. The other one so far have flattened. This will be another story. White- our in canister. I found out don’t stop in the middle and finish another day! It took me two days to grind the can off. This first one separated as I expected.
I will try some gun blue on this later.
I am also in the process of getting some powder steel with 4% nickel in it. More fun later.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
WOOT!! NICE!! For future reference, I leave my "can" material/tubing outside and let rust naturally... then I do not clean it out before building a "can"..... and about 90% of the time, the can doesn't stick to the billet. With white being so expensive, I gave up on the one quickly...... and the only other thing I've had minimal success with is acetylene sooting the inside of the "can" ;)

KenH

Mike, did you have any powder inside the canister along with the 52100 bearings? OR, was space left between the bearings?

I'm making note of the rust inside canister idea - sounds good to me. I'm still getting up the nerve to try a canister. I've got the powder, and stuff to make the canister - just gotta get up the "arm 'n hammer" to do the work {g} I understand canister really NEEDS a press or power hammer.

mike miller

KNIFE MAKER
There was a little but mainly on the ends. I saw a video where they did a canister and had the inside lined with used heat treat foil. It came out nice. I have some nickel 4% powder coming now. I have Super Blued the blade now and like it.

mike miller

KNIFE MAKER
I have a little table top 20 ton press made by a friend. I used a ‘v’ fixture to press each corner than all the rest was flat presses rotating sides.

mike miller

KNIFE MAKER
KenH I have been told and I did soak for 30 minutes and if it looks good soak another 10. I have an Uncle Al vertical forge and that puppy gets HOT. I did not have a hole in canister.

mike miller

KNIFE MAKER
Drop on down to the Bruce Bump WIP and in the first few pictures shows using heat treat foil inside the can. I had to look at the whole WIP. NICE!