Cork belts

izafireman

Hi

Not been here for a while but just bought a new grinder and have gone up to 72 inch belts. I have bought some Hermes 515 cork/carbide belts but do I have to soak these first in water to break them in or anything else to prep them.

Also how do you guys use them and for what finishes ? I have seen on the Hermes site the can be used for satin finishes but can they also be used with rouge for a mirror finish. Any images of knives finished with them would be a bonus in order to see what can be achieved.

Thanks

Pete

Im not sure what cork belt I have I just know its a 400 grit. I remeber getting info to take a brick and push it into the belt for a few minutes. Then every so often take a piece of steel and push into it to freshen it up.
I will try and upload a picture, but who knows with this new layout and no tapatalk not sure I can.

Also I go from 120 grit to 220, 320 then the cork belt for final finish.

Hi Pete,
A cork belt can be used as is or in combination with a buffing compound.
When you get one for the first time, you will think it isn't what you ordered. The granules of cork are quite large and chunky. The abrasive grit is embedded into those chunks of cork.
Generally, the cork granules are a bit uneven and the high spots need to be knocked down a bit. In practice this is running the belt at high speed and pushing some scrap (or a brick I suppose) into the belt to wear down the high spots. This will give a more even finish pattern.

A lot of guys apply green chrome buffing compound and take their blades to mirror or near mirror finish this way. The green chrome compound tends to fly off after a few minutes and needs to be freshened frequently. The grit of the cork will make a difference to achieve a mirror so use a 600 or 800 grit in that application.

Not sure if the picture will work but here is one I did with a 400 grit cork finish

Attachments

• 20170725_144035.jpg
    20170725_144035.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 48
Justin, how do you get such a clean line from your bevel to the flat? I haven't used a cork belt, but when using a scotchbrite belt, I get stray marks all over. Does the cork belt not do that, or do you have to mask the flats?

Thanks for the replies. ...I also forgot to ask another question.
Which is I made some ''scurfs'', not sure if everyone will know what they are but they are had linen mops which are then rolled in a water based cement and then rolled in oxide powder of your chosen grade, a jeweller friend told me about them. When they are used I apply a tallow like substance which is hard and designed to make the grit last longer. Can such a substance be used on abrasive belts? I am pretty sure I have heard you can to keep them cooler and so the last longer.....anyone know please.

Thanks

Pete

Justin, how do you get such a clean line from your bevel to the flat? I haven't used a cork belt, but when using a scotchbrite belt, I get stray marks all over. Does the cork belt not do that, or do you have to mask the flats?

John,
It's alot easier to get with the cork belt, I have tried it with the scotchbrite as well and its about impossible. The cork just dosnt have those stray hairs that slap the flats...I like them.

Back