Cork belt question.

Tod Lowe

Hey guys.
Im doing my first mirror finish using the cork belt method.
I have noticed that about an 8th inch of both edges of the cork belt do not wear like the rest or load up with compound. This problem is its not allowing me to get in the plunge line area with the good part of the belt without trashing my lines.
Any suggestions? Would also be interested in hearing any other tips with a cork belt finish.

Hi Tod.
Great to hear from you again. Sounds like that belt was used hard on the edges, You didn't say what size of grit it had. I did some of this a few years back. I was never strong on it. Anyway, the meathod was to take a 400 or 600 belt and strip it of the cork and then load it with the polish to be used. If your belt doesn't have any grit I would still strip off some of the cork . And since the edges are worn that shouldn't hurt at all, just even it out. I knew one fellow who did all his blades with a polished finish and this system was part of his procedure. Sure there are many others that do too. Frank

One method I've used requires not stripping the grit from the belts but just breaking them in for 10 minutes against a piece of scrap steel, then using them loaded with the grit and compound. 400, 600, 800 and you'll get a very good finish. The big thing though with breaking the belts in, is being gentle on the edges. Supposedly you can break the cork off the edges pretty easily. Supposedly if you do it right, each belt will last you years of everyday use.

I've had great luck however, just going through the gator belts, and then moving to a non-abrasive cork "polishing belt" (tru-grit and supergrit both have them), loaded with compound. I found you didn't have to break these belts in very much.

Other than the vaporized green chrome compound flying everywhere, I love using the cork belts. Feels much safer than the buffer to me, and the finish is a bit different.

Thanks guys.
I am using the green polish on it and it does fly everywhere! lol
I might look in to the belts from true grit. I havent heard of them being preloaded.

Back