Contact wheel resurfacing?

Matt de Clercq

I have modified a 10" grizzly contact/drive wheel to run on my KMG and have noticed uneven ware on the edges resulting in extra work to get plunges even. Got any ideas or experience on fixing this? I was thinking of putting it back on the griz so it can be spun but don't know where to go from there.

It's been a while (80's) but I believe even the Griz instructions back then said to do it with a file. My wheel came slightly cupped in the center. I held a double cut file upside down (teeth pointing towards you) below the center line of the wheel and lightly pulled up on the problem child area. It worked very quickly.

Rudy

Chuck wheel in lathe and true it up? Perhaps take an old 2X72 belt, cut in half to 1" wide, then using a solid tool rest, spin at low speed, using a tool supported by tool rest and S-L-O-W-L-Y each tool to edge of wheel to true? Hmmmmm, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen when tool "bites" too hard into wheel.

I'm back to idea of lathe.

Ken

Hello Matt!
I've used a file before myself to true up a wheel on a variable speed machine.
Go slow and take your time slowly removing just a little at about 10-20 percent speed.

Back