Completed knife number 7 and my second slipjoint

JPSWorks

Just finished up my second slipjoint folding knife last night. This one is was important for me because it will be a gift for my father for Christmas this year. We are all getting together a week early and I was running out of time to complete it before Sunday this weekend. Fortunately I got it done last night. Just need to put the final edge in a bit. Other than that it is done.Though as you will see in the pics that the pivot pin still shows on one side. I can just feel the edge of the pin with the edge of my finger nail. So after this post I am going to go back out to the garage and try to very carefully grind it away then move up in the belt grits. Hoping I don't mess the blade or scales in the process.

This is also the first time I tried file work and it went better than I had hoped. I had just filed the spring and then after heat treating it I set the tension much too strong and was trying over and over again to get the spring to bend enough to put pin through the blade and liners for test fitting and it snapped! I will include that in the pics below. After that I ended up making a new one and did some file work extending to the blade. I am quite pleased with the way it looks.

For this knife I wanted something special so I ended up cutting scales out of some stabalized 3,400 year old bog wood oak I got from Burl Source. I just used a the Beall 3 stage buffing system for the wood. All in all it's some really neat looking wood.

Almost forgot to mention the blade and spring are AEB-L and 410ss for the liner and pins.

As usual I go a bit overboard on the pics. Took them this morning and overcast as usual.

John

Nice job you are cranking them out! That bog oak is cool I bet the old man will love it. I'm trying to finish one for my dad to....clock is ticking.

Back