Christmas KITH??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Cochran

I was just wondering if anyone might be interested in doing a KITH for the holidays? I know this is short notice but I think we could get something together.
Let me know what you think, is it a good idea or not.
If there are several of us that want to do it I will get everything organized for it.

Sean

Last edited:
I have three blades under construction and would be happy to donate one to a KITH if you get enough participants. If you need, why don't you put it off a few months.

Doug Lester

Kith

+1 Nathan,

I've also commited to the BF kith so I'd not participate in a christmas kith here. Next year, Oh yeah ! Perhaps even a summer KD kith would be cool.
Christmas in July so to speak.

-Josh :D

+1 Nathan,

I've also commited to the BF kith so I'd not participate in a christmas kith here. Next year, Oh yeah ! Perhaps even a summer KD kith would be cool.
Christmas in July so to speak.

-Josh :D

Same here. I'm in the newbie KITH this year at BF.

I was thinking of a Christmas in July KITH, and then saw you posted it :p

Christmas is July, I like it. Around the first of the year I will start a new thread, that will give us 6 months.

Sean

IMO I think that signing up in January and kicking it off in Feb would be nice. I hope some of the more experianced makers will join in. Please remember that this is to help each other with our makers skills. It is a great thing to be involved in and a great way to get feed back. The big plus is you get a knife from one of our family members from KD. It is a great time for all that are involved. I am looking forward to it.

If you don't want to wait until July you could always do a March madness KITH. I might have to take a pass on December myself now. I just suddenly went from three blades to one blade. Not exactly my best day.

Doug Lester

Alright..... i'm getting an idea by reading the posts but could someone please tell me what a KITH is?

KITH= Knife In The Hat

It's like trading knives with someone, and you have no idea what you're going to get... Like a Christmas present.

Usually the names are put in a hat and drawn out and put on a list,you send your knife to the person above or below you however the rules are set up.
Started out as a buch of guys standing around and would reach into thier pocket and pull out a knife and hand it to the person to thier right,or drop the knives in a hat and everyone reach in and pull one out.Most old timers carried a knife simply for this purpose.
Stan

Its a whole lot of fun and even gave me some Christmas Spirit last year although my family didnt share my new joy.
I semi-promised for this year over on BF and need to stick with that. My knife is done already but people need to have theirs done before they officially commit on what date? Dec 1st?
In my line of business I cant do it twice plus the family will feel left out.
My suggestion is start next year early enough for makers to get the knife done. You may be aware there are some that didnt finish last year and had some real dissapointed kids. Its upmost important to finish the knife on time. We can learn from that long long thread over there.

Bruce,

I feel the same way. I just finished one for the KITH and now I'm thinking boy I could probably get some nice coin for this sucker ! But I'm gonna stick to my word and participate which I AM very excited about. Got at least 3 knives to make as gifts for chrismas so no time to make another KITH knife.

It's all gonna be worth it when I get my christmas knife though !

-Josh

This is from knife network on what a KITH is,

What is a KITH?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The technical deffinition of a KITH is this: Knife In The Hat = A bunch of knifemakers agree on a theme if there is to be any (i.e., spring steels, Christmas, recycled material, daggers, arrowheads, etc., etc.) and a draw date. Each maker completes a knife by the draw date, and then the host draws names from the 'hat' to determine who gets which blade. The most common method (in my own experience) is to draw the names and make a list. Each maker sends his knife to the maker whose name appears below his on the list. The guy on the bottom ships to the guy on top. Done. Right? Not quite...

A KITH as it was conveyed to me is a modern adaptation of an old practice where guys at a job site would gather at lunch on Friday and throw their pocket knife in a hat, draw one out and that was what they carried for the rest of the week. Around these parts, the KITH evolved from an IITH (Iron In The Hat), where projects were kept very simple (arrowheard for example) to encourage participation.

In the end, a KITH is about community. It represents a challenge to new makers to do their very best work because they are sending it to someone who knows knives as well or better than they do. An honest critique can be a blow to a sensitive ego, but worth so very much in the development of a maker. For the ol' masters, it represents a chance to share years of accumulated knowledge and wisdom. For all, it represents a sense of brotherhood, sharing, and belonging.

Read some of the quotes I've dug up from past discussions. If you still don't get it, just hang around here and follow the action until you do.

"...some newcomers felt shy about participating. Just remember, it's not about what you receive in the draw, it's about fun, establishing enduring relationships, and building brotherhood."
"I've received some fabulous knives in the drawings in the past, and I've received some newbie work too. You know what? In my collection they all have a prominent place, because they all have an equal amount of good spirit in them."
"For that reason I never objected to getting the piece of a newbie. Because I knew that if they had their way, they'd be making heirloom quality pieces, but alas they couldn't (YET) as they were new to the craft. But like receiving a gift from a family member, it's not the gift itself, but the thought and more importantly, the heart behind it." -Dana Acker

"Why are we doing this? Because 1) we are new to knifemaking and need to develop skills 2) this will challenge us to make the best knife we can 3) this will establish a group of peers with whom we can interact and ask questions, and 4) the best part of all--to have fun!!!" -Nathan (Armory414)

"Hey, you never know when today's noob may be tomorrow's master! that maggot gagging blade may be fetch a fair price in the future!"
"Most kiths have no cost/fee associated other than you have to ship a blade. Likewise, any experience level is usually welcome. Anytime ya'll see another KITH going on, please don't feel left out just because you're new! That's all part of the KITH experience. As long as someone tried their best, that's all that counts!" -Don Halter

"Every new maker, without exception, has the same feeling that his work is not up to parr yet and wonders if his offering would be worthy. No one twists anyones arm to join in on a trade. If a more experienced maker joins in, he does so with his eyes wide open. Maybe he has been there and raised his own bar by joining the kiths and trying his to do his best. Now that he has improved he wants to give a little back. That would be in keeping with the spirit. It is cool to have all kinds of kiths and it is good to see lots of them going on.
The only thing that worries me is for us to fall into an "us vrs. them" type thing. After 5 years here, I still consider myself a noobie. These guys have welcomed us in. Shared their knowlege and not once have I ever heard anything but encouragement and constuctive help from any of them. Never once was I ever banned from any games they thought up. The spirit of the forum as a whole is, all for one and one for all. The spirit of the kiths is designed as a learning tool to get you to raise your own bar. To get you to push yourself to your limit and beyond.
Believe me, I know the fear of thinking I might send something off that might be considered a POS.(still have it). Checking and double checking the heat treat instructions for a particular steel. Taking the finish to one higher grit. Backing up two grits and starting over. I have ran over time by worring myself sick over trying to get things right and freezing up. Starting three blades at once so I have a back-up for my back-up. On and on, stress after stress. But still, exciting and fun! I feel partisipating in the kiths has made me a little better. Excluding people from the trades seems like lowering the bar to me." -Roc Ellis
www.kansasknives.org

I hope this helps explain things. The one I did was a blast. This is how I met Shane (S.P.A. knives).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys.
I think we have settled on next July. I will start a thread sometime soon after the first of the year. Everyone who is interested will sign up in that thread.
I like the idea of a theme, I was thinking for the fourth of july we could maybe do a patriotic theme, what do you guys think?

Sean

I agree that a theme would be a cool idea. See how different makers interpret the theme in their knife. Patriotic is broad theme with a gazillion possibilities which could be very interesting.

-Josh

Just speaking personally, but I'm not a fan of theme knives. I don't like making them, and I don't own any. I'd hate to feel locked in to a specific theme. But then again, maybe I'm just a party poo-poo-er. :)

--nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back