Checkering a Knife Handle

wmhammond

Now that I've got Hamons down pat :001_rolleyes: I've got the hots to checker a knife handle just kike a shotgun or rifle. It would be simple enough to make the handle out of Walnut. I would know what to expect with Walnut because I have checkered a set of 1911 grips before. But, I'm thinking about using Ironwood instead. Has any body had any experience checkering Ironwood? It is way harder and denser than Walnut so I would wonder if it can be worked with standard checkering tools? Will it chip or splinter more than Walnut? Etc, etc. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks, guys,

Wallace

I can't speak to Ironwood but Dymondwood will dull the heck out of the checkering cutters. I guess it's the resin....
I've checkered all kinds of wood and some are okay (walnut) and others eat the heads.....

Wallace, ironwood, blackwood and some rosewoods should all checker just fine. They all carve the same or nearly so and have the same wear effect on my tools. I don't think you'd have any issues really.

So, are you telling me to stick with Walnut? Thanks,

Wallace

Try a bunch of different woods, the worst that can happen is dull cutters which are easily replaceable. I got my first set of checkering tools when I was about 20 (66 now) and I swear that were made harder back then. The new ones don't seem to have the longevity of the older ones.

I'm getting kinda excited over this checkering idea. I've designed a knife based on the hand grip of a Browning A5 "Round Knob" shotgun. The first picture is the knife with an image of the checkering. The second one has a proposed guard that might go on the one above. I don't know if the "Reversed" finger guard is cool or stupid. Give me some comments and suggestions on this design. Thanks,

Wallace

IMG_1542.jpgIMG_1540.jpg

I like the shape of the blade and proposed handle but the reversed guard looks like a bit of a unplanned fighter imo. I'm sure it will look great when you finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the first diagram the best.
Though the reversed would probably hurt is the knife was used much IMHO.
IT does look like a trigger though.

Back