"Cattle Drive" Bowie for ICCE

jkf96a

Two years ago at the last ICCE, Alice Carter and I hatched a plan for a special knife. We've had it done for a while, but are finally glad to announce it will be presented at ICCE this year.

Some of y'all know I like historical elements in my work. This knife is full of history and tells a great story. The cattle drive period in Texas was at its peak in 1871, symbolized in the knife by the inclusion of an 1871 half dollar as the coined spacer. By 1877, the railroad had come to Dallas, captured here in the wrought iron spacer from original Dallas railroad rail. By 1888, the plains were being settled and fenced, and the era was over. The guard, butt cap, and cast elements of the stand are from the cemetery gate of the town of Rayner, TX in Stonewall County. It was incorporated in 1888 and disappeared by 1906.

The fossil walrus handle feature's Alice's wonderful artwork. On one side, the cattle reach the loading pen at the railyard. On the other the cowboy reaches the end of his era at the plains cemetery. The stand has a mesquite base and a forged longhorn.

Fry_210311-wweb.jpg

63624783820__7D1C7DA0-7C9B-43A9-A630-2C87BE5DA1AA.fullsizerender-e1615500367391.jpg

Back