Carved Basket Weave Walnut Hunter

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's my latest knife. This carving is something I've wanted to do for a while now. It is all hand carved.

Specs:
Forged 80CrV2 blade with selective French patina
3 3/4" blade, 8 1/4" overall, .170" thick at the ricasso w/ full distal taper
Rounded spine and ricasso
Black g-10 collars with raised rounded and coined stainless spacer
American black walnut handle, hand carved with 3D basket weave pattern
Stainless checkered finial screw.

All comments and discussion welcome. 0607181615b~2.jpg 0608180723~2.jpg 0608180725e~2.jpg

C Craft

Holy Camoly, I am speechless as how to describe how much that one impresses me!! When I first saw where you were working on this one and the pic I am thinking I am looking at a sheath stamped with a basket weave!

Then when realize that is a carved handle, out of a very hard wood. The whole package appears totally flawless!

It sits your mind to thinking how and how long and then your drawn back into the knife again, and I find myself sitting here admiring your work with my mouth hanging open. The amount of time and effort that has to go into a piece such as that! It is apparent that piece is an extension of yourself!!

John, you are indeed a master at your craft!!

BrandantR

That is hands down the best looking knife that I've seen on here in a long time. I've been a woodcarver for many years and a knife maker for a few. This one appeals to both of my hobbies. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

So, if I may ask, is that French patina done with French's mustard? It's fantastic!

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Holy Camoly, I am speechless as how to describe how much that one impresses me!! When I first saw where you were working on this one and the pic I am thinking I am looking at a sheath stamped with a basket weave!

Then when realize that is a carved handle, out of a very hard wood. The whole package appears totally flawless!

It sits your mind to thinking how and how long and then your drawn back into the knife again, and I find myself sitting here admiring your work with my mouth hanging open. The amount of time and effort that has to go into a piece such as that! It is apparent that piece is an extension of yourself!!

John, you are indeed a master at your craft!!
Thanks Cliff. I appreciate your kind words.

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
That is hands down the best looking knife that I've seen on here in a long time. I've been a woodcarver for many years and a knife maker for a few. This one appeals to both of my hobbies. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

So, if I may ask, is that French patina done with French's mustard? It's fantastic!
Thanks Brandant. Yep....regular French's yellow mustard.

Self Made Knives

This is why you're my knife hero! Awesome! I'd love to know how you get your G10 guards and spacers to look so smooth, seems like no matter how much a sand and polish I can still see and feel the weave texture in it.

Rick Otts

Just when I think you made your best knife ever you come out with another that tops it.That is some fine work there MR Doyle!

MikeL

KNIFE MAKER
Fantastic. A great eye for flow and some very steady hands! I think I would have gone cross-eyed attempting something like this and I’m not sure I have the patience this must have taken.

Can anyone tell me if they have done a mustard finish on A2...and how it looked?

I'm thinking of experimenting with steak sauce...'cause then it'd be A1 on A2....sorry couldn't resist...lol (serious about the mustard question)