Cancer Research Damascus Fighter WIP on CKCA

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
As you may be already aware, the Custon Knife Collectors Association has a knife made to be raffled off and the proceeds go to Cancer Research. This year my name was drawn to make the knife and Steven Rapp to make the sheath and Brian Hochstrat will engrave both the knife and the sheath.

I'm really honored and excited to be making the knife and heading up this team.

This thread will contain some progress shots just as a teaser to the real Work In Progress thread over on the CKCA Forum. You will need to click here to see whats really happening on it. http://www.customknifecollectorsassociation.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1002

The knife will be a fighter with a 9 1/2" long "W" patterned damascus blade, 1018 low carbon steel double guard, take down framed handle of 1018 with front and rear bolsters for good areas for Brians engraving. The sheath will have a throat and tip of 410 stainless and leather covered over a hard liner of brass in magnificent Steven Rapp style also engraved by Brian. The handle material will be legal ivory slabs held in place with 6 gold pins.

Tickets to win this knife will be available when its completed and will be drawn at the upcoming Blade Show in Atlanta.

009.jpg

Making some progress, I have the guard turned on the lathe, bent and have the tang and handle bolted together. Next comes the front bolsters.

013-2.jpg

Hey Bruce,
Wonderful thread on CKCA.
I am going to doe a WIP photo book like the last ones I did for you. I will donate it and you guys can sign it and give it to the knife winner. I will extract all the pics from that thread if you don't mind.

Hmmm, maybe I'll make two.

Regards,
Steve

Thanks for doing this Bruce, it really means a lot to me as my mother lost her fight against cancer. I will be buying many tickets.
~EP

That would be a great addition to the winner Steve. There may be an overload of images but you have a trained eye on which ones to snag. There are some missing in the initial stacking of the raw steels and the those welding heats but maybe you could grab a couple from earlier projects just to fill those spots?

Hey Bruce,
Wonderful thread on CKCA.
I am going to doe a WIP photo book like the last ones I did for you. I will donate it and you guys can sign it and give it to the knife winner. I will extract all the pics from that thread if you don't mind.

Hmmm, maybe I'll make two.

Regards,
Steve

Bruce,
Let me know when you have to deliver it.
I'll get some W pattern pics from the archives.

This should be fun.
Steve

Sorry to hear that, Kaye and I lost both our Fathers to cancer at only 59 years old. I hope my small contribution will help to save somebodys loved one.
Thanks for doing this Bruce, it really means a lot to me as my mother lost her fight against cancer. I will be buying many tickets.
~EP

More progress today. I'm almost ready to send it off to Steve Rapp for a sheath. The handle doesnt need to be completed as long as the guard is in place. He's going to make a stainless throat and tip leather sheath and send it back here for handle scales and polishing before sending it to Brian Hockstrat for the engraving.

031.jpg

OK its done enough to send out for the sheath. I'll post some shots when it comes back. I dont know when that will be since this is ahead of schedule for the April 2011 deadline for completion. Its nice to be early for once.

015-2.jpg

Bruce,
You are such an inspiration to us want-a-be's. I can't thank you enough, every time I visit your site it helps me to grit my teeth through the pain and get out there and work.
thanks
Greg

Thanks Greg. Happy I can help the newer makers with some techniques. Before the internet came along it was all by books we begged borrowed and stole. I didnt even know another bladesmith until the early 90's and met John Davis, a good friend still. Thanks for the appreciation.
Bruce,
You are such an inspiration to us want-a-be's. I can't thank you enough, every time I visit your site it helps me to grit my teeth through the pain and get out there and work.
thanks
Greg

Bruce Thanks for sharing you talent and skills, your WIPs are always a source of instruction and inspiration. I always look forward to the next installment of each series. Have a great New Years and God Bless you all.

Jim

I just caught myself up on the knife's progress and I'm totally blown away, Bruce. We are so blessed to have you showing us how you work, and getting to see such incredible outcomes. It makes my heart beat faster.

Thanks so much for following thes wips. If it werent for you guys that do appreciate them I wouldnt put them up on the boards. They're so much fun to document and show when I get some warming returns like this.

I hope a great 2011 for all of us.

I've never chimed in to let you know so I guess now is the time to do it. I LOVE your WIP threads Mr. Bump! It's so much fun to watch the knives grow! Plus, I know I'll always learn something from reading them. :D

Back