CA finishing?

bodam

I'm working on an Ebony handle, and normally I use a Tru-oil finish, but I was thinking of trying the CA method for this one.

Is there a specific CA glue that everyone recommends? I have a Rockler close to my office, and I was going to swing by there during lunch to check out what they have in stock.

Anything I need to know before starting the CA finishing method? Any surprises I might encounter? Other then gluing my hands to the table?

The main thing is to coat it several times but don't sand it between coats. Otherwise it shows patchy spots.

Ok I was standing between coats.

The brand I bought from Rocklers will knock you out from fumes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apply CA glue outside - fumes are just too much for me. I've heard there is some "fumeless" CA glue around, but have no experience with it. Once CA is applied, I do bring inside to dry.

Ken H>

I'm not normally affected by fumes, I work for a Petroleum Laboratory, but holy crap, that CA glue is no joke.

I'll be back in the shop on Sunday to mess around with the CA finishes more, I will update my progress.

Thanks for the input Bruce.... BTW, how's the Pineapple Conure doing? My wife went and got her a little "bundle of joy"...... A Sun Conure about 3 or 4 months old. Bird thinks the world revolves around bird. She named bird Gumbo - I thought that was a good name incase bird gets to be too much of a pest {g]

Ken H>

Thanks for the input Bruce.... BTW, how's the Pineapple Conure doing? My wife went and got her a little "bundle of joy"...... A Sun Conure about 3 or 4 months old. Bird thinks the world revolves around bird. She named bird Gumbo - I thought that was a good name incase bird gets to be too much of a pest {g]

Ken H>
Hey Ken,
Oh yea, Duckie is doing fine. Him and I get into some wrestling matches at night. I flip him upside down and tickle his belly and he bites the heck out of me. He loves it and keeps coming back for more. I get him all worked up and give him to Kaye to calm back down. He loves her.
Good luck with Gumbo

Back