Bump / Janik Sub Hilt

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
On second thought, this is my vote for "Knife Dogs' 2012 Best Collaboration Piece".

McClellan Made Blades

Absolutely "STUNNING" work gentlemen! Sorry, pretty much speechless after that.
I'm the same way Murph! Looking at this knife, is stunning me! OK,who am I kidding? Everyone knows, I'm not speechless, except for the first minute or 2 that it took my breath away!!!

I guess I'm going to have to do a WIP, one of these days, I remember when I had just starting making, I believe it was Erin Burch, (don't hold me to it being him and there is a possibility I got mixed up in my time-line, it was around 4 years ago, if I'm remembering correctly! Also I may have mixed names together as well. Yeah, memory issues,... SUCK!!), who had also just started about the same time, I believe it was around his first 8 or 10 knives he had made. I PM'd him and asked him how he had so much confidence with such a limited amount of experience. He told me that he wanted to do the WIP, not only to share his talent (those are my words not his) with others, but also so the experienced makers would have the chance to see what he's doing, and if there might be a better way to do any particular skill. Erin is a great guy and has an enormous amount of talent, I thought that doing a WIP for those reasons was flat out genuis!!! BUT, for me, personally, I'd at least have to get to the skill level that Erin was then, yeah, he has left me in the dust as far as skill levels go! His first knives are better than mine now, of course I have had so many rough times over the last 4 years, but I was so forunate, lucky whatever you want to call it. I had 2 constants in my life, and incredible WIFE, an AWESOME son, and the "other" part of my life, the Knife Shop!!!! The were always ther for me!
Gotta run, Y'al have a great day! Rex

cwilliams

Steve
Now I am mad, I cant believe you took this to blade and did not mention it. I also can not believe I am just now reading this.
:sad:
Oh beautiful knife by the way.
CW

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
Chris,
The new owner let me carry it around a little and I did bring it to your booth twice. Once you were out and once you had a huge audience.
I planned to bring it back Sunday but it was already shipped home.
Sorry,
Steve

Jim Coffee

I had this one in my hand a couple times at the blade show and it is a great knife. All 3 guy's involved in the making of this one should be VERY proud of it ( I know the new owner is, I was there when Steve gave it to him) I was not surprised at the quality of the knife as I have held many of Steve's knifes in hand and the fit and finish is ALWAYS TOP NOTCH and as for Mr Bump, well we all know his GREAT WORK. The real surprise was the GREAT quality of the engraving, Doug knocked it out of the park on this knife and after seeing his work I know who will be engraving my knifes. Very nice knife guy's and congrats on the picture in blade mag...

Jim

Last edited:

McClellan Made Blades

Jim,
I think you touched on somthing that hasn't been mentioned enough, and that is the engraving! To say that it was engraved isn't really correct, it was carved! Deep relief carving, and the material that was left above was engraved! The engraving on this knife was incredible, the pics will give you an idea how deep the engraving is, but you really can't fully appreciate it until it is in your hand! If I owned this knife it would be the first that I would have ever owned that never cut a single thing! I have some nice knives, but they have all been USED, as a knife was intended! But, this one, this one is breath taking. This one could go down in history like those of Camelot, or the fabled sword Sting, that Frotto carried, that glowed when Orks were close, this one is special! I only wish it was MINE!!!! It could be, "My PRECIOUS", the heck with the ring of power! To know that they can make another one...that is a little comforting, now if I can only win the lottery!!!!
Rex

The Virginian

I had this one in my hand a couple times at the blade show and it is a great knife. All 3 guy's involved in the making of this one should be VERY proud of it ( I know the new owner is, I was there when Steve gave it to him) Jim
You are correct, sir. I am admiring it right now and just realized that I never posted here and thought I should do so. Everyone involved did a terrific job on this knife. This is the second "Bumpnik" that I have been fortunate to obtain. I have been very fortunate to obtain a lot of knives by some very famous and renowned makers, but these two Bumpniks are among my favorites - and not just because Steve is one of the classiest guys in the knife community that I have ever had the pleasure to meet. The knives themselves are just that nice. This trigger subhilt that Steve did is not only creative, but is a major reason why this knife feels so good in my hand.

Jim,
I think you touched on somthing that hasn't been mentioned enough, and that is the engraving! To say that it was engraved isn't really correct, it was carved! Deep relief carving, and the material that was left above was engraved! The engraving on this knife was incredible, the pics will give you an idea how deep the engraving is, but you really can't fully appreciate it until it is in your hand!
You are absolutely correct about the carving. DEEP relief carving indeed. Doug did an amazing job. And I am happy that you like it so much. Me, too! :cool: The only way anyone is going to get this one from me will be to pry it from my fingers. And with that trigger subhilt for me to grip, that is going to be awfully hard! :biggrin:

Last edited: