Bump / Janik Sub Hilt

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
I fear this will be the last "Bumpnik". It's time for me to crawl from dank sludge onto dry land and shed this danged tail and maybe grow some opposable thumbs.

But alas, we all must evolve.

I do have one more collaboration in process with another KnifeDog that will be a Walnut handled fighter from AlMay damascus, and another with Jim Coffee to benefit American Valor Outdoors.

Oh wait, that's two more!!

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
I know this sounds funny but I have thought about doing something like this for a long time. However I don't have the skill to pull it off. Now that you two make it look so cool I have to try. :)

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Rex,
Thanks for the kind words, I think you made Bruce cry, but he's an old softy anyway.

As far as the machining goes, this is strictly high school level machine shop stuff with an old manual mill and a calculator. Some CNC (computer numerically controlled) equiptment would have been faster, and I do have access to that and water jetting and laser cutting, but this is very therapeutic. It calms the nerves plus holding onto the cranks give you a good feel for what you are doing. the machine will tell you by sound how it feels about what it's doing and vibrate and rumble a little if it feels you are not paying close enough attention.

I would not suggest using the surface grinder for hogging out material. It can hotspot your steel and change the temper. I would bandsaw the material out first and go from there. If you are taking more than .010" off anything with a surface grinder, you are on the wrong machine.

Hope to see you at Blade with "the PUP"

Steve

PS. These collaborations with Bump and Janik have taken on the name of "Bumpniks"
Steve,
I would LOVE to have High School level training on a mill and lathe! I have had ZERO training on any machining type equipment, I did buy a mill from HF, with the warranty of course. Used "at it" for about a year an a half, until it wouldn't cut straight, because of my lack of knowledge and training on not only how to operate it, but also how to service it. I do enjoy teaching myself new things, figuring out how to do whatever it is I want to do is kinda fun and challenging. With the warranty, I was able to take it back and got all my money back for it! I don't think they're terrible mills, in the right hands they should be able to do everything a knife maker needs,...within reason! Unless I can find a corespondence course or some sort of on-line instruction, I don't know if I will fool with one again....that was until I saw this knife! You 2 are doing an amazing job as usual!

BTW, "The kind words" had nothing to do with me being kind, it has everything to do with respect, appreciation and maybe some admiration and I wanted to put it out there for everyone especially us newb's! We all have to remember that you guys DO NOT have to do anything y'all do. The way you all share your expertise, FREELY! Gives all of us, that want to attain a similar level of excellence, the ability to, through hard work and never giving up, to be able to get, at least, close to that type of excellence! Not to mention the inspiration y'all give, (speaking for myself), when I see a knife that is so over the top, I pick up little things here and there, that I incorporate into my own designs. That alone gives me the opportunity to do something a little different, because I won't put it on the same type of blade that y'all did, I'll add that little something to a knife that probably wouldn't be needed, but because I think it looked cool, I'll add it!

What I was referring to with the Surface grinder, was where you mentioned, using it to square up the shoulders on the tang, I also think it would work to recess the tang a little behind the ricasso for a forced fit, and got to thinking it should be able to make a perfect transition, being able to square up the ricasso first, then using the SG to take off a 1/64 or 1/32 at a time until it was at the depth needed. I thinking it would work on the flat sides, but the ends would still have to be filed by hand, it would still save a lot of time, I think, I don't know for sure since I've never used a surface grinder, BUT I'm trying to get one!!!! Finding one that is affordable is the real trick, I'll keep saving until I can get there, I've a few more tools I want real bad! With the intention of getting proficient enough with them that I'll be able to speed up my knife making!

I don't think I can say it enough, or it can be said enough to all of you guys that go out of your way to help us newbs, of which some will be here today, gone tomorrow for what ever reason that happens, it never sways you guys, you still keep giving, and for that I say THANK YOU!!!! Gratitude for help to achieve excellence in an obsession is a rarity, all of KD is blessed to have the group we have!

The atmosphere, that is sometimes taken for granted, should be achknowledged as well and we have BOSS DOG to thank for that! So here's a great big Thank YOU, Tracy!!!
OK stepping down off my soap box, y'all have a great evening, Rex

McClellan Made Blades

Any updates on this build? I'm assuming it's off to the engraver by now. I really didn't like seeing that this might be the last Bupnik! You 2 seem to compliment each other very well! I can't wait to see what the engraver comes up with! Thanks, Rex

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
Just spoke to Doug and I hope to have it back in my grubby mitts this weekend. Then it's profiling and decorating the liners, final fitting of the ivory, attaching the blade and cleaning it up. The sheath will come after BLADE. I will post a couple more WIP pics next week but I will block out some of the details. I really want the first finished pic that I post up to be a Pro Pic for the first impression.

Heck, I may even bathe up and put some slickety juice in my hair for the picture. Gotta get the woman to shear my ear hair back a little so it don't look like I'm using a birds nest for a pillow.

Steve

D.Douglas

Slickety juice. I think ive used that on door hinges and pivots before. Hey folks this is gonna be good!

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
Just got the frame back from the engraver and have masked of the good parts.

I use this expanding lug system to cinch the blade up tight in the frame. The brass is knurled and split and when driven into a .250" hole and expanded with a set screw it makes a good, solid mechanical joint.

The lug is ground off flush on both sides.

I bolted the liners together and drew some spaced lines to create a stepped looking liner edge.

The liners are put on and the ivory is slowwwwwly fitted into place. I can't emphasize how important it is to take your time on this step. After a little experimenting with this, I would say that just raising the temperature by 20-30 degrees can expand the length by up to .010". This is HUGE when trying to achieve a tight fit.

Getting ready to profile the edges of the scales. Notice here that when working close to finished surfaces, I pull the drum on my Dremel out a little so the screw and washer never come in contact with the piece.

67.jpg63.jpg64.jpg65.jpg66.jpg62.jpg

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
I'm letting the cat out of the bag a little here.
Still needs a lot of clean up and hand polishing, but it's going to BLADE Thursday to be presented to the new owner at the CKCA Banquet the night before the show opens.

Real pro pix of the finished product next week.

Steve
68.jpg

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
A real beauty Steven. One of the things almost impossible to do is to use bark ivory and not remove any bark at either end. You pulled it off flawlessly my friend. I'll bet the new owner is going to be thrilled with his new sub hilt. Please send my regards to him.
Bruce

Jim Coffee

Very nice work Steve, Bruce and Doug. I cant wait to see this one I wish Thursday would hurry up and get here..

Sean Jones

Amazing work...thanks for the WIP. I find these invaluable as a learning aid and just love watching something beautiful evolve.

McClellan Made Blades

OMG!!!! That is over the top!!! Excellence in action!! I can't wait to see it!! 2 days to go and I will! Thanks guys! For sharing, Steve, sharing this type of info is priceless, it makes me want to sign up for machinist school! It really makes me regret that I didn't sign up for that when I went to college, I could have went to trade school, and now I'd be making a lot more money!!!! And have the ability to make stuff like this...alas, my skill level is so far behind this, it's silly. But I will keep on attempting to get to the place I need to be until I get to there! Never quit, never settle! Remember,... EVERYONE! Good is the enemy of Excellence! But, you got to get good to get to get better!!!! Thank YOU Steve and Bruce!

I know your WIP thread is closed, but I had a little something to add, any knifemaker that flat out copies a knife from a WIP, doesn't get that this is an art form. Being original is,....everything! Knives are going to have similarities, here and there, but a flat out copy of a WIP knife... for anything other than personal use is, ..., you know I'm not sure what to call it, the words that come to mind are dumb, abuseive, lazy, and the last one, NOT a REAL knife maker. Now, I really didn't want to say any of those words, but the thought of the great makers not doing WIP's would be a huge loss, one that can't be measured.

Is it possible, that is why the old time makers didn't or quit sharing their methods? Which would be the same reason the art was almost lost?! I'm sorry, it was on my mind, and I had to get it off. It's hard enough for us newbs as it is, WITH excellent WIPs, like this. Imagine those new makers that are to follow...it'll be sad for them to not get to experience a WIP like this, I hope Steves post serves them notice. Rex

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
Finished at last.

Finished up and back from Doug Sutherlands engraving shop, just in time to deliver at BLADE.

And finally the pro photo from Jim Cooper at SharpsByCoop. Jim really pulls out the essence of a knife and he did Bruce and I proud on this one.

Thanks for following along on this WIP.
Hope to have another in the not too distant future.

Thanks,
Steve
68.jpgavatar.jpgintegral.jpg

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Absolutely "STUNNING" work gentlemen! Sorry, pretty much speechless after that.