Building nwg

sethshaun

I got the plans from MKS and I am rounding up the steel that's needed. I have some 1 1/2" square bar that I was going to use for the tool arms but the plans specify 1 3/4" tube for this. Is that number set in stone? Will the wheels still work with a smaller bar? My 2" tube has 1/4" inch walls. I got the steel for free, that's why I would like to use it. If it's not a good idea let me know. Thanks.
Seth

1 3/4" tube is hard to find in some areas. Sub 1.5" or 2" tube for it.

In my workshops I use only 11 gage 4", 1.5" and 1.25". You have to grind a channel in the 1.25s that go inside the 1.5. Mill it (I do) or use a cut off wheel on a 4.5 angle grinder. Tension arm should be 1.25. This makes it easier and better fits. Also the 11 gage gives enough metal to thread for the kinobs etc.

Last edited:
oh yeah! great thread!

That is one of the best things about Tracy's plans,you use the plans as a guide,and build it to fit you.
Check out these grinders,lot of good ideas.
http://www.knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=7390

Good luck with your build.

God bless,Keith

Seems like the when you make a modified NWG that you would need to be careful to keep it a 72". I am trying to figure if I can make one with one swivel arm like Wayne Coes' Blue Monster or stick to the plan and use multiple arms. It looks like he shortened some things to make the Big arms fit. Or is there that much available space with the tensioner?

Nuttun to it. Just pull the arm out further if you need to. My swivel arm is 1/2" X 2" X 9". Drill and tap all holes for 1/2-13 bolts. The platen is 2"X3" angle. You will have to make a big hole or slot for the pivot and slot the holes that hold the platen onto the arm so that it can be adjusted in and out.

When choosing the big contact wheel its recommended to use an 8". I know I don't want to go smaller but what about bigger? And why are some serrated and others aren't?

Just like everything else,,,, bigger is better. You may have to enlarge the arm that I discussed earlier. Well, maybe you don't want to go with a 48" wheel. Serrated helps with hogging off metal and runs cooler, I have read here. I have never used one so don't take that as the gospel. There was a thread about a month ago where this was discussed.

Back