Buffing wheels

Chris623

I'm headed to Jantz tomorrow to pick up a bunch of supplies. Want two wheels dedicated to polishing. Have never used sisal wheels before, but have used felt. Which is more recommended for polishing knife blades?

Sisal is VERY aggressive compared to felt. Most use sisal with coarse compounds for "cut and color".....meaning it will literally "cut" into the steel. With Sisal it's no uncommon to visually see sparks.

Felt is the cadillac of buffing wheel..... the drawback with felt is that it easily becomes contaminated with whatever is floating around in the air....it's best to keep felt with (when not in use) in ziploc bags.

Personally, most of the time I use canton flannel wheels. They fall right in the middle between sisal and felt for aggressiveness, they are available in many diameters, in sewn, loose, and even single seam stitched. I generally "stack" 2 or more wheels of the same type on my buffer.

Where most get wrapped around the axle is compounds...... most try to use way too many different ones. Personally, I use an LEA green (contains 1,000+ grit), and Pink No-Scratch for final finishes. To be clear... I NEVER BUFF BLADES. The buffer is in the shop for handles/guards, and other odds and ends.

Thanks, Ed. I, too, have always used stitched cotton wheels. Guess I should just stay with them. Appreciate the tip.

Glad you are back home now. Keep us all in the "loop" as to how you are doing.

Ed's hit the nail on the head for types of buffing wheels. I've never used the felt wheel, only cotton.

Ed - good to see you posting again. I Pray you've had good news. We NEED you around for a LONG time :)

Ken H.

hi Ed, why dont you buff the blades

I don't like the look..... I'm not a "mirror" polish fan. Also, I see SO MANY who try to mirror polish blades, trying to do it with the buffer, and all too often it comes out looking like buffed over scratches...... GRRRRRR!

My finish of choice for most blades is etched, or a nice satin finish, accomplished with the Klingspor "hand blocks" we talked about in another thread.

I don't like the look..... I'm not a "mirror" polish fan. Also, I see SO MANY who try to mirror polish blades, trying to do it with the buffer, and all too often it comes out looking like buffed over scratches...... GRRRRRR!

My finish of choice for most blades is etched, or a nice satin finish, accomplished with the Klingspor "hand blocks" we talked about in another thread.
Amen.

Back