Bruce's work in Blade Magazine (again)!

JC in SC

Thats right folks, the slip joint that Bruce took to the PKA show is shown in the "Handmade Gallery", which comprises pages 44 and 45 of the February issue. The piece states that "Few knife genres separate the middle-of-the-road maker from the expert maker quite like traditional slip joints." Accompanying Bruce's piece are 7 other knives by 6 other makers, including Tony Bose and Don Hanson III. Prestigious company to say the least. I find Bruce's knife to be one of, if not the most, visually appealing among this group. Keep up the great work Bruce and congratulations on being in print, again:biggrin:

Thanks much guys! I was tickled pink to see my little slippie up there with the big boys toys. Those guys are old veterans at the slip joints and I've only made about 20 of them so far but I can see more in the future and hope to one day live up to that article.

Well, in my book you're the equal to any maker alive. You're just too modest Bruce. I mean it. Congratulations yet again!

Another thanks guys, maybe I'm modest but there are days that dont go right around here. I wonder if those more famous makers ever mess up anything. We will nevery know. Why do all the lessons have to be learned the hard way?

Why do all the lessons have to be learned the hard way?

That is because if it was just all easy we all would be making Bruce Bump quality knives :D. And I agree with your are to modest and also humble my friend your work is some of the finest. Now when are you going to build my slippie? Take your time I can pick it up at the OKCA show :p.

If I wait long enough you will be making your own slippie. By the sounds of things you are gearing up for it. BTW, Thanks for the kind words.
That is because if it was just all easy we all would be making Bruce Bump quality knives :D. And I agree with your are to modest and also humble my friend your work is some of the finest. Now when are you going to build my slippie? Take your time I can pick it up at the OKCA show :p.

If I wait long enough you will be making your own slippie. By the sounds of things you are gearing up for it. BTW, Thanks for the kind words.

But mine would not be a Bruce Bump's :p. I decided last year when I asked you to make me one that I would like to get a knife, preferably a slippie from all my friends that I hold as mentors to me and your up first Bruce so get to work :D.

Thanks much guys! I was tickled pink to see my little slippie up there with the big boys toys. Those guys are old veterans at the slip joints and I've only made about 20 of them so far but I can see more in the future and hope to one day live up to that article.

I think that is why so many of us are so excited about your work. After 20 or so pieces, you've reached a level that took many other master craftsmen literally hundreds of slip joints to achieve. All modesty aside, your work is incredible, be it slip joints, knife pistols or a simple hunter.

But mine would not be a Bruce Bump's :p. I decided last year when I asked you to make me one that I would like to get a knife, preferably a slippie from all my friends that I hold as mentors to me and your up first Bruce so get to work :D.

This is an interesting point. I'm trying to get into slip joint making myself, but still am eager to own a Bruce Bump original. I cannot think of another maker whose work I would like to own more.

You guys are definiately raising my spirits. Maybe you didnt read the above thread where I botched the heat treat on a perfectly good W2 blade and snapped an inch off it trying to straighten it after it was hardened. I do feel better now.

This is an interesting point. I'm trying to get into slip joint making myself, but still am eager to own a Bruce Bump original. I cannot think of another maker whose work I would like to own more.

I totally agree

Bruce that is why I admire you so much my friend, you are not afraid to tell us all when things go bad and you have to start over. Makes us all feel better knowing that even the masters have bad days and gives us a boost of confidence.

:biggrin:Well that makes us even. You guys make me feel good when things go right.
I totally agree

Bruce that is why I admire you so much my friend, you are not afraid to tell us all when things go bad and you have to start over. Makes us all feel better knowing that even the masters have bad days and gives us a boost of confidence.

Thats right folks, the slip joint that Bruce took to the PKA show is shown in the "Handmade Gallery", which comprises pages 44 and 45 of the February issue. The piece states that "Few knife genres separate the middle-of-the-road maker from the expert maker quite like traditional slip joints." Accompanying Bruce's piece are 7 other knives by 6 other makers, including Tony Bose and Don Hanson III. Prestigious company to say the least. I find Bruce's knife to be one of, if not the most, visually appealing among this group. Keep up the great work Bruce and congratulations on being in print, again:biggrin:
I am so proud to own one of his firsts, a peanut. Extremely hard to make, just due to the size.
101_6008_edited.jpg

Anyone who has tried to build a slip joint knows just how tough it is. Even with an established pattern, there is a tremendous amount of work, trial and error, assembly, disassembly, tweaking and reassembly to build a nice piece. This is one of the things that impresses me so much about Bruce's work. As best I can tell, and as evidenced by the Swayback WIP, many of his slip joints are one-offs where Bruce creates the pattern from scratch and then builds the knife. I've tried and believe me, it is HARD. There are so many details that go into making a functional slip joint that also has elegant lines, yet Bruce makes it look so easy and beautiful.

I have said it before and I will say it again " Bruce Is The Man!" All of his work is outstanding! I have been drooling over his slippies since the first one. I still really want one of his 2 blade trappers. I have some outstanding mammoth Ivory that would look smokin on one, but I do love the ones you have done in stag. Congrats my friend!

Back