Brad's KITH for Chris Reiley - Finished

Brad Walker

1084 Steel with Black African Hardwood handles. As of today, it's been heat treated, steel has been ground level to 220 grit (still more to go), and the handles have been cut to size. I hoped to be further along, but unfortunately after over 20 work related phone calls, I gave up for the day.

Next is grinding the bevels and shaping the handle.

Suggestions please!! I'm thinking of stainless pins? Does it need a colored liner for some pop? I was thinking a red liner and maybe a red center pin. If too much, please let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• KITH4.jpg
    KITH4.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 21
  • KITH1.jpg
    KITH1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 20
  • KITH3.jpg
    KITH3.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 16
  • KITH2.jpg
    KITH2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 16
Fitting the scales before gluing is something I started a short time ago. My problem was the blade wasn't finished before the scales. That meant any hand sanding I did on the blade left a grit line at the top of the scales. So the last few knives I've made, I totally finish the blade, then glue the handles. That way, the only clean up I have is the scales. The blade is completely covered during the whole finishing process. I use 1/4" pins. I drill with an F bit. I have found that 1/4" micarta pins are slightly larger so I get a snug fit with the F hole. (sorry, that made me giggle). They stay snug during the hand sanding of the scales, which also happens before I glue them. I make a thick wood blank of the handle, attach the scale to it in my knife vice and sand away. In the last couple of months, I have become a huge fan of hand sanding!!

Fitting the scales before gluing is something I started a short time ago. My problem was the blade wasn't finished before the scales. That meant any hand sanding I did on the blade left a grit line at the top of the scales. So the last few knives I've made, I totally finish the blade, then glue the handles. That way, the only clean up I have is the scales. The blade is completely covered during the whole finishing process. I use 1/4" pins. I drill with an F bit. I have found that 1/4" micarta pins are slightly larger so I get a snug fit with the F hole. (sorry, that made me giggle). They stay snug during the hand sanding of the scales, which also happens before I glue them. I make a thick wood blank of the handle, attach the scale to it in my knife vice and sand away. In the last couple of months, I have become a huge fan of hand sanding!!
Thanks for those tips - I like that process as I can sometimes get careless

Got a little bit more done today. 1st pic - Started hand sanding one side of the handle. 2nd pic - shows the left handle shaped to 400 grit, the one on the right has not been shaped. 3rd pic - Shows the shaped handle on the blade. I'm liking the blue blade!! What do you think?

KITH5.jpgKITH6.jpgKITH7.jpg

I didn't realize when I posted the first pic, that my 2 Harbor Freight anvils were in the background. Please don't be jealous!

Well, the good news is, the handles are shaped to 400 grit. The other good news is the left side look pretty good. (not as good as it did!) The bad news is I chased a problem on the right side and I am not sure I can correct it. The left side was prettier before I attempted to match the right. I stopped trying and will get back to it. I seem to always have problems with the right side. Anyone else have that problem? If I can't fix it, I'll have to start over.

Next for the handles is clean up after gluing and the final sand. Will it be this blade, or another?

KITH8.jpg

Back