Boss Dog, since you asked.

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
I am not an electrician. I haven't a clue what I am doing. You should NOT follow my example. You could kill yourself or fry your digits. You have been warned.
(Wayne Coe, in your opinion, was that a good enough warning?)

I have long had an issue with people and organizations that demand that participants who attend their functions sign an all inclusive over restrictive "Release". I believe that if people knew the effect of that release seeks they would not consider signing it or agreeing to those conditions.

Because of these "Releases" I wrote the an article for the equine community. When I began attending blacksmithing events I saw that the "Releases" were in common use there also. I then adapted the article for the blacksmithing community. Because of this article many of the blacksmithing events have changed their procedures. I think that this article is just as relevant to knifemakers. If it is felt that it is needed I can adapt this for Knifemakers. The attachment is a copy of the article for the blacksmithing community.

As to Boss Dogs question quoted above: You have probably pretty well covered it. You have advised folks that you are not an expert in this area and that it is possible that it is not the right way to do it.

Everyone should realize though:

While at Batson's Ray Robinson of Steven Bader Company discussed grinding. Part of his discussion involved that they had sold a grinder to a company. They had advised the company, in writing, that if they used a dust collection system it should be done in a certain way and NEVER grind steel and aluminum on a single grinder and further NEVER have the grinders tied to the same dust collection system. The company ignored the recommendations and consequently there was an explosion. (Steel grindings and aluminum grindings, in combination, are the basic components of Thermite, an explosive combination.) Bader was sued and fortunately they had all of their warnings and suggestions in writing.

Gun manufacturers have been sued because someone was killed or injured because someone had used the gun improperly or to commit a crime using the manufacturer's gun. I don't know if a knife maker has ever been sued over this issue but it could happen.

Attachments

• WARNING.pdf
    63 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
It's a fact of Life nowdays;
and one day soon,I think they'll start teaching CYA in high school...
It's a sad state that there are people who do nothing more than piss in the gene pool,and when their critical lack of self preservation leads them to Doom's door,they immediately look for someone to blame,and sue.
I'm glad there are folks like you around to remind the rest of us to CYA.
Thanks!

good one. I saved a copy of that release form for future use.
thanks

Boss, I refur to it as a warning but if release makes you feel better that's ok. The main effect it that it puts participants on notice that they are assuming the risk. If they don't want to take responsibility for their own actions and safety they should just leave. I have a couple of large (2' X 3') Warnings posted in my shop. I tell folks that they should wear ear protection and saftey glasses. If they then choose not to then that is their choice. I have several families that take lessons at my shop. The parents are adults and can make their own choices and they are responsible for their own children. I do watch for things that might get someone hurt, such as how they carry hot metal and where they leave it.

I am afraid that my last post may be a bit confusing so let me go further:
While I believe that people should assume responsibility for their own safety I do not believe that people should sign away their rights for someone else's negligent acts. Just as if you drive a car and negligently have an accident you are responsible for an injured party's injuries or damages, so should you be at events or any other aspect of your life. If the accident was not your fault or due to your negligence you should not be responsible for the injuries or damages that ensued.

Back