Blade and or Foil Pouch holder

SRT

I have been heat treating my blades for some time now and the only real Problem is the brick with ceramic pegs to hold the blades and or foil pouches vertical in my Evenheat Kiln. Not too bad with unwrapped Damascus blades etc . But with foil wrapped SS blades, sometimes when I reach in and remove the foil pouch it catches the fragile pegs on the foil fold and breaks them off or tries to pull the entire brick out . Today I dropped the pouch ,caught a towel on fire and still managed to stomp the fire out and retrieve the pouch on the Aluminum plates . This just SUCKS and I am sick of it. I fold the pouches as flush as I can but they still sometimes hang up on the ceramic pegs. Can anyone tell me of a stable blade holder perhaps with brick blocks instead off little pegs or whatever . I could cut slots in some angle iron but not sure if the metal would soak up heat from the Evenheat Oven or whatever ???? I heard that the Paragon blade holder has brick base but steel pegs , but I need something that I can slide the foil pouches out without interference

Hmmmm. I have an Evenheat with that same holder and never have that problem.

I grab the blade/foil with tongs, tilt it so it's vertical and pull it straight out.

I also make sure the folds in the foil are very flat before it goes in the oven. I use a wood file handle to crease them against my granite block. There's nothing sticking out to catch the pegs.

Hmmmm. I have an Evenheat with that same holder and never have that problem.

I grab the blade/foil with tongs, tilt it so it's vertical and pull it straight out.

I also make sure the folds in the foil are very flat before it goes in the oven. I use a wood file handle to crease them against my granite block. There's nothing sticking out to catch the pegs

When you say you grab them and make sure they are vertical does that mean they are laying flat on the brick or like what I do stand them on edge between the pegs which is what the pouch catches on . I thought the pouch needed to stand on edge in the oven for more even heat distribution. Also this doesn't happen to me every time just enough to make me nervous and hasty .I probably have more time than I think to get the pouch to the quench plates without losing heat like with carbon steel. Thanks

When you say you grab them and make sure they are vertical does that mean they are laying flat on the brick or like what I do stand them on edge between the pegs which is what the pouch catches on . I thought the pouch needed to stand on edge in the oven for more even heat distribution. Also this doesn't happen to me every time just enough to make me nervous and hasty .I probably have more time than I think to get the pouch to the quench plates without losing heat like with carbon steel. Thanks

They're leaning on the pegs, not flat. I just make sure they're vertical and will clear the pegs them I take them out.

Back