Blackish knife with brass pins okay?

Mark Barone

I'm making a damascus knife with African Blackwood. Will brass pins take away from the monotone look? What are my options. I don't think I can get my hands on titanium (that would be nice.)

I personally like the contrast of brass against dark wood .... I’m just getting started in this hole craft but aesthetically, I like it. Stainless pins an option?

I think I will stay with the brass this time. It is pretty much the standard anyway. I also have a mosaic pin I want to use that
Is brass. Thanks for the comments .

Chris...I agree. Copper is amazing. I also think perhaps many of us react to brass because of the Paki knives that have flooded the US for the last 30 or so years...brass and rosewood.(cheap: cost...fit and finish...steel quality...etc) Brass is a wonderful material but careful...! Lol.

Who didn't have one of those knives as a kid?

Just to throw another option into the hat, Bronze pins? I also used brass but it was pointed out to me that brass looks a tad yellow?
I just used a set of bronze pins in a knife handle today and first impressions look good, though I have only loose assembled it so far.

Edit....Just another thought, which of the materials would look best in the long run I wonder? , after the pin metal has dulled down and a patina set in?

Back