Big Green Grinding Machine

UncleBillyKnives

Well, it took awhile to finish her up, but here is my "welded" No Weld Grinder. It tracks great and once I adjust the platen I will start putting the steel to her. I have one profiled and one that the handle needs to be shaped. This sure is a solid machine. I got the plans and some parts from Tracy at MIDWEST KNIFEMAKERS and the motor from Wayne Coe. Both were great to deal with. On second thought I think I will go start grinding right now.

UncleBilly

Attachments

• Grinder 2.jpg
    Grinder 2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 239
  • Grinder 3.jpg
    Grinder 3.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Grinder 1.jpg
    Grinder 1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 227
Man that is a good looking machine you got there. I built mine on a stand too.
Now get some grinding done , lol

where did you get that arm with the wheel and platten in one ?

Is the mounting plate for the motor mounted on a pivot to release the tension on the belt for changing which pulley it rides in?

Doug Lester

Is the mounting plate for the motor mounted on a pivot to release the tension on the belt for changing which pulley it rides in?

Doug Lester

Yes, the mounting plate pivots. I have a slotted bracket in the front. Just loosen a bolt a little and you can lift the motor to move the belt.

UncleBilly

Sure is a pretty blue motor. I like the motor mounted below so giving a smaller foot print. If you mount the motor on hinges the weight of the motor will adjust the belt tension and there is no bolt to have to loosen.

Good lookin' job and it shows that you put some thought into it. The great thing about building your own grinder, besides saving money, is that you can build what you need.

Congratulations.

Thanks Wayne,
The motor does pivot but when I ran it with everything tacked up the motor bounced a little bit. I think it was due to the long belt acting like a rubber band and the flex do to just being tack welded. I did not know if it would do it once everything was welded up solid so I added the front adjustment. This thing runs so smooth I cannot believe it. And it is quiet! Allot quieter then my 2x48 k-zoo grinder. I used it last night to shape in a handle on a knife I had already glued up. I used the flat platen, 8 inch contact wheel and the slack belt portion of the rotating attachment on low speed and I am very happy with the performance of the machine.

UncleBilly

Very nice set up. I wish I had painted mine before full assembly, but that rust look is growing on me.

One thing to think about is putting some kind of shield over the motor so grinding dust doesn't get in it. Positioned like it is, you're shooting sparks right towards the fan.

One thing to think about is putting some kind of shield over the motor so grinding dust doesn't get in it. Positioned like it is, you're shooting sparks right towards the fan.

I was thinking the same thing.

Now, I'm no expert on electric motors, but that doesn't look like a TEFC to me.
Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled.

Mine isn't, and I find I need to blow air in there to get the dust out.

I've been considering some kind of filter to put over the end, like maybe a large white scrubbie pad.
Don't know if that would restrict air flow too much though.

It needs something.:les:

Looks like it is TEFC to me,but I may be wrong.

BTW nice build there Billy.

God bless,Keith

It is a TEFC. 2hp. Just to be safe, I sent Wayne a message to see if he thinks there is any concerns but i think it is ok.

UncleBilly

Uncle Bill, I'm sorry that I can not answer your PM. I got the e-mail copy but the PM still does not show up on my notifications. In answer to your question:
The motor being below the grinder does put it in line for more grindings but it is a TEFC motor. That stands for Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled. The motor is sealed so that the grindings can not get inside. A shield certainly won't hurt but is probably not required. You may want to keep a watch on it and see how dirty it is getting and watch the belt and pulley for wear. Watch the fan end of the motor for grinding build up but there should not be any unless you are quenching your blades and the wet grindings gum things up. You should see some of these motors after they have been used for years in a wash down situation in gravel pits.

Very nice build Billy. I too am in the process of finishing my no weld grinder. Your pics are making me think twice about painting it ;)
I had a question about how you attached the pivot arm to the tool arm. I got my pivot arm from Tracy's website and the mounting hole is 3/4'' so I drilled the arm, got a 3/4'' bolt and attached it. My problem is, short of having two wrenches handy to tighten the bolt every time I change the arm position I am at a loss as to how to tighten and loosen it every time. Have you come up with a more convenient way to tighten and loosen that bolt?
Thanks in advance!
~glue

Glue, I have been using the two wrench method also and it is kind of cumbersome. what i think i am going to do is weld a bolt to the back of the tool arm. that way you only need one wrench to loosen the bolt on the rotating tool arm.

UncleBilly

Hey Billy,
I was thinking the same thing. I really like the idea of the adjustment being tool less. But no matter what I think I am going to need the torque of a tool to make sure that pivot arm stays put. I was messing with the idea of welding a rod on the top of the bolt and another on the bolt for handles but then I run into clearance problems with my 8" wheel. Thanks for your input!
~glue

Back