Benchmade Model 53

Frstr8

Designated Dog Photo Chopper
So what do you guys think? I do not like the looks of it. I feel they are going in reverse. They had great bali's and now they are making cheaper looking stuff. G-10 handles? Really?

a-4.jpg

Discuss................

I handled it at BLADE - it's a nice feeling knife, and a nice 'utility' bali.

Not a classic Benchmade flipper though.

I've got the Bradley Mayhem, a similar balisong also made by Benchmade and I like it quite a lot. I plan on having a 53 when I can, but I'm not giving up any of my 4x balisongs.

I have a Mayhem as well. I love it. It feels very nice in the hand. Titanium handles with really thick PB washers make a huge difference over G10 handles. Are they trying to keep the price down to compete with all these bali's coming out of Kershaw for Bradley?

I like it... it's something new... especially that color- not my first choice but original! I'll buy one for sure.

In this case, the design is a Charles Marlowe. He is one of the finest knife makers out there. His balis are $1,000+.

I hope that BM puts the price at an affordable $200ish or less. KCSteve, may I ask, How much did they want for the 53?

I have owned many, many Benchmade balisongs over the years and I think they are trying to do something fresh... is my guess. I hope BM will continue to collaborate with many different custom knife makers. Though I still don't understand why they would completely discontinue the 42 - the industry standard for balis. I see that they also included a reversible clip on that one. WOOHOOO! I'm a lefty! :)

RafX

Haven't heard the MSRP for the Model 53 but I think it should be under $200 - at least I hope it is.

I'm not a balisong guy but I love the looks of this knife. It seems like a real good utility knife that happens to be a balisong. Blade shape is utilitarian. Handle color is great. Thank goodness it's not tactical black. At least they are trying something different. MSRP from their website was $180.

I dont understand knocking this knife.A custom collaboration under 200$ is great.TI and G-10 are similarly priced when bought in bulk.Also it is the material the designer wanted.So when your knocking BM your also knocking Marlowe as this is a near exact replica of his custom design.

Hmm, I can't fault the G10 as my first Bali is the Margarita green G11 that's been around for a while. 180.00 is a good price for the new model 53 , I like the utility look of it alot.

I think it is cool it has ball bearing pivots but as was mentioned this is not aimed at the hardcore flippers in the community.
It is a shame the direction they are taking with their balisongs lately. They need ot get back to building high end, tough metal balisongs. Get away from this new cheap materials approach. I know some will disagree on this but it is just an opinion.

GUys, I am not a BALI guy either.

But when I was a kid, I spent my Winters feeding cattle. For anybody, who does not knopw what this is like, you climb on top of a 5 tall stack og hay bales in the back of a pick up truck, and then drive over a single lane goat path to find cattle hell and gone (can I say that) from nowhere and then you feed the bales off the back by cutting the strings( they dont use wire anymore.) on the bale and dropping it off a flake at a time. Basically its like two guys standing on top of a 8 foot tall mound of JELLO while handling a knives, in sub zero weather.

Anyhow, the boss lady had seen a couple of knives in her garden ccataolg, she thought would be handy. SO we got to test them.

They were basically a BALI-type knife with plastic handles and a pretty stout puukko type blade.

ONce we used them on hay bales, we would not let them go.

Of course when we wnet home the knives stayed in the truck.

BUt I always wanted to have one, to toss in the day pack.

IN short, I will get one, regardless of the handle color. Try using one that is flash red sometime.

D2 oughta make a good blade. I dont know anything about Mr. Marlowe but I wonde rif his wife ever had one oif them dang ugle folding puuko's before?

I'll wait awhile to get one ---- if I can get one for less then $150. I do REALLY like my Bradley Mayhem --- it is a well made SOLID feeling knife. I do own a bali , semi-custom , that has just G-10 handles and though it is well made -- it has a "cheap feel" to it when I flip/play with it. But , I grew up on those old monster all brass balis from the 80s !!!

Back