Belt tracking strange

Nick Schreiber

Okay.... I just got my 2x72 up and running. I was very meticulous about getting the drive wheel aligned with the platen wheels. The first belt I ran on it is a Combat Abrasives 36 grit ceramic belt. Before tuning it on I made sure the belt was tracking properly and it seemed fine, but when I turn the machine on the belt has a wobble to it. Think bent rim on a bicycle kind of wobble.

I messed with the tracking but it didn’t change the wobble. I confirmed the drive wheel and platen wheels were properly aligned. I took the belt off and put on a new C.A. 400 grit A.O belt and it tracks perfect with no wobble. I then tried a new C.A. 60 grit ceramic belt and there is a wobble but it is VERY minimal.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Could it be the belt was cut funny? I don’t know that it will cause much problems if any since I’m just going to be using those to do the initial grinding and will quickly move up in grits.

Im open to thought and suggestions!

I agree..... bad belt(s).

I've even had that issue with premium grade abrasives. It most often happens when someone at the factory lets a cutter blade get too dull......and it drags the edges before cutting. It tends to happen more often with imported belts such as Combat sells.

I agree..... bad belt(s).

I've even had that issue with premium grade abrasives. It most often happens when someone at the factory lets a cutter blade get too dull......and it drags the edges before cutting. It tends to happen more often with imported belts such as Combat sells.
What belts do you recommend? I’ve used Red Label Abrasives before and they seemed to be good belts. I’ve heard a lot about the Combat belts and have heard good things so I thought I’d give them a go.

What belts do you recommend?

In reality, you should use what works best for you. That being said, the money you pay for "premium" abrasives is well worth it. The problem we as knifemakers face today, is that with the popularity of knifemaking, every brother's uncle has jumped on the bandwagon, seeking to make a buck off the trend, and when it comes to belts, those entities work the "buy low, sell high" mentality, and consequently, import all their belts. Can domestic products have the same issues? Of course, from time to time, I get belts that were cut with a dull cutter, and they run wobbly..... but the difference is.... I call or email, and usually have replacement belts on the way before the end of that day. I've also come to understand that the majority of newer knifemakers who started out with import belts, have no idea just how poor the quality on their belts is....until they stumble upon quality abrasives. I can't count the number of folks who have come for classes, and been amazed at how the abrasives they used in my shop out perform the import abrasives they use.

My advice to knifemakers is this..... ALWAYS purchase/use the best quality abrasives you can get. If you live west of the Mississippi, buy from Tru-Grit Abrasives out of Ontario, CA. They flat out have the largest variety of belts and best prices of anyone (even the factories can't sell for the prices they do) If you live east of the Mississippi, then I recommend Pop's Knives and Supplies out of Washington, GA. Why the different recommendations? Simply this....shipping speed.

In reality, you should use what works best for you. That being said, the money you pay for "premium" abrasives is well worth it. The problem we as knifemakers face today, is that with the popularity of knifemaking, every brother's uncle has jumped on the bandwagon, seeking to make a buck off the trend, and when it comes to belts, those entities work the "buy low, sell high" mentality, and consequently, import all their belts. Can domestic products have the same issues? Of course, from time to time, I get belts that were cut with a dull cutter, and they run wobbly..... but the difference is.... I call or email, and usually have replacement belts on the way before the end of that day. I've also come to understand that the majority of newer knifemakers who started out with import belts, have no idea just how poor the quality on their belts is....until they stumble upon quality abrasives. I can't count the number of folks who have come for classes, and been amazed at how the abrasives they used in my shop out perform the import abrasives they use.

My advice to knifemakers is this..... ALWAYS purchase/use the best quality abrasives you can get. If you live west of the Mississippi, buy from Tru-Grit Abrasives out of Ontario, CA. They flat out have the largest variety of belts and best prices of anyone (even the factories can't sell for the prices they do) If you live east of the Mississippi, then I recommend Pop's Knives and Supplies out of Washington, GA. Why the different recommendations? Simply this....shipping speed.
I have ordered from both companies and so far I really like both companies, if one doesn’t have what I’m looking for, there’s a 99% chance the other one does and for a very competitive price. True grit has my package enroute the next business day and it arrived within 3 business days. Pops shipped nearly as fast and the package was at my door within a week.

Ed-

Thank you for the recommendation! I couldn’t agree with you more about the use of the best QUALITY. For me this is true with anything in life. Quality doesn’t always mean the most expensive either. I love that your comment continually reinforced the quality over cost. The next round of belts I order will be some of what you recommended. I’ll keep trying different things until I find what works best for me and then stick with them. Thanks again!

Back