Belt grinder on ebay: Is it worth the money?

That is the biggest ripoff of the KMG design that I have seen yet. You do realize it's coming from Russia? That alone would turn me away. It's not just about the machine and a cheap price, it's about needing parts and/or service later on. I suspect this is just another fly buy night outfit, trying to make a fast buck off the popularity of knifemaking. The information on the listing doesn't even make sense. They show a cheesy cheap VFD in the pics, and then in the description say it's "three speed step pulleys".

Do yourself a favor and go to https://beaumontmetalworks.com/

or here at USA Knifemaker Supply: https://usaknifemaker.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=KMG

Or at least buy some other grinder that is home based here in the US. But beware...there are a number of newer grinders available that are also nothing more then looking for a way to exploit knifemaking popularity.

Another option is building your own. You can get the plans online (I got mine at usaknifemaker). I liked the NWG (no weld grinder, I welded mine eventually) mainly because it had plans for multiple tool arms and having multiple tool arms is critical. I've since upgraded mine to use a VFD and I'm about to replace the main tool arm attachment.

If something breaks or if I want to make an addition I just make it.

Another option is building your own. You can get the plans online (I got mine at usaknifemaker). I liked the NWG (no weld grinder, I welded mine eventually) mainly because it had plans for multiple tool arms and having multiple tool arms is critical. I've since upgraded mine to use a VFD and I'm about to replace the main tool arm attachment.

I built my first grinder and I have had very good luck with it. It is a good way to go.

I couldn't open the picture but one of the reasons I bought a KMG beside the price was that it was US made and looked like Beaumont had anything I'd need for it in the future.

This is exactly what I have. The only downside to building your own is the time involved. If I had to do it again and I had the money I'd buy rather than build. But now that my home built one is dialed in, it's works quite well.

Thanks for the many replies. I'm still a newbie so your comments are very much appreciated. I did not realize it was Russian made. Russia, like China, will NOT get my hard earned $$ unless I have no choice. And from your comments, I have many choices. I do have a very small metal fab shop and have left over metal from other projects so I may consider making my own depending if the left over metal will work with the plans you guys have mentioned. Thanks again for the many suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the many replies. I'm still a newbie so your comments are very much appreciated. I did not realize it was Russian made. Russia, like China, will NOT get my hard earned $$ unless I have no choice. And from your comments, I have many choices. I do have a very small metal fab shop and have left over metal from other projects so I may consider making my own depending if the left over metal will work with the plans you guys have mentioned. Thanks again for the many suggestions.
Ameribrade will sell you their parts, I built my own and used their wheels and platen.

Another Build option is Polar Bear Forge. 300 for basic kit. About 1k with all new parts. If you can source stuff way less. I have a Reeder 600 bucks basic kit with the ability to lay over on Horizontal.

I built my own years ago... Never again. Was a nightmare the amount of time I tinkered with it trying to get it to track right. Buying an already built one was one of the best things I've ever done in my business. I'd rather make knives than tinker with baking a belt grinder. Especially with all the options now available belt grinder wise. Just my .02

It's definitely all about what an individual wants to do in a build versus buy scenario.

Personally, I think far too many who say they are going to "build my own", thinking they are going to save a bunch of money, greatly under estimate the cost of materials/components/parts, and far over estimate their fabrication skills, and buy the time they realize they are XXXX dollars into it, end up doing what's mentioned above.... spend more time tinkering and trying to adjust, then they do using/grinding on the machine.
In my experience, most just get frustrated, and then buy a "so-so" grinder. Get angry/frustrated again, then buy something they think is "better", and the cycle goes on until they finally break down and buy a top end grinder. The sad part is by the time most reach that point, they've already spent enough money to purchase 2 or 3 top end grinders, on machines that have zero resale value.

Two of the biggest reasons you pay the kind of money you do for a top end grinder is because of build quality, and the fact someone else has spent the time and effort to design/build in the necessary precision. And something not many consider.... resale value. Buy cheap, and there simply isn't any resale value, But, buy a top end machine, and in 10 (or more) years, if you decide you want to sell it, you get very close, if not more then you paid for it. Just last year I sold an old Wilton Square Wheel grinder, WITHOUT a motor, for $900. When I purchased it new, in 1988, I paid $550 including shipping.....just sayin.

This build versus buy conversation has going on for generations. I went through the same gyrations. After many arguments with myself I finally decided to go with a pre-built. That purchase decision was based on Time. I could spend a couple weeks or more buying parts waiting for them to be delivered and manufacturing pieces or I buy a prebuilt and be up and grinding in a week or so. In actuality I had the prebuilt assembled and had already destroyed a couple of knife shaped object on the first day. I dont have the bragging rights of saying I built that grinder but I can say I was trying to build knives long before I would have got the grinder built.

I can see both sides of this argument. I started making knives because I knew I could do better than what was in stores. But that road was long and winding to be sure. I followed that road because I wanted to make knives. Considering how long it would take me to learn to produce a decent grinder and how many failed attempts I would go through I decided to buy a good one from the beginning. It hurt a little because of the money but I have not regretted it since. In short, I have no desire to make grinders for sale or as a hobby so I saved up and bought one.

It's definitely all about what an individual wants to do in a build versus buy scenario.

Personally, I think far too many who say they are going to "build my own", thinking they are going to save a bunch of money, greatly under estimate the cost of materials/components/parts, and far over estimate their fabrication skills, and buy the time they realize they are XXXX dollars into it, end up doing what's mentioned above.... spend more time tinkering and trying to adjust, then they do using/grinding on the machine.
In my experience, most just get frustrated, and then buy a "so-so" grinder. Get angry/frustrated again, then buy something they think is "better", and the cycle goes on until they finally break down and buy a top end grinder. The sad part is by the time most reach that point, they've already spent enough money to purchase 2 or 3 top end grinders, on machines that have zero resale value.

Two of the biggest reasons you pay the kind of money you do for a top end grinder is because of build quality, and the fact someone else has spent the time and effort to design/build in the necessary precision. And something not many consider.... resale value. Buy cheap, and there simply isn't any resale value, But, buy a top end machine, and in 10 (or more) years, if you decide you want to sell it, you get very close, if not more then you paid for it. Just last year I sold an old Wilton Square Wheel grinder, WITHOUT a motor, for $900. When I purchased it new, in 1988, I paid $550 including shipping.....just sayin.
Thanks Ed for the insight. In other areas (not knife making), I've done the same thing and regretted it. Years ago, I bought cheap Chinese made tools only to have them break or not perform well at all. Toss them and buy the better ones. After totaling the costs involved with a make it yourself, I'm quickly reaching the conclusion that I will wait until I have the $$ to buy one already made and maybe not top of the line, but close to it. The comments on this forum are shaping my decision making process and they are of great value to me. Thanks to all.

Aside from the build / buy dilemma:

A grinder does not cost anything in the long term. A grinder is what MAKES money. Making knives is a very expensive endeavor. Unless a person has money to burn, you really need to sell knives in order to keep making knives- and having a good grinder is the only way to make that happen.

In my opinion, if you just want to make a few knives for yourself then files or a 1x30 is all you need. But if you ever plan to make more than a handful of knives then knifemaking is “in for a penny, in for a pound”. Do whatever it takes to get a good grinder because that’s the most basic requirement.

The good news is that knives sell very easily. It doesn’t take long to start making money. I thought I was going to puke up my liver when I bought my grinder. But that grinder, a 30 year old drill press, and a vise bought me the shop of my dreams within a couple of years.

Back