Before or after?

Chris623

Just received my Cactus Juice today. Don't have my vacuum setup completed, but do have a question. Do you stabilize the blank before you cut it into two scales, or after? I'm assuming after, but thought it good to at least ask.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
Clean on my bandsaw...more like Micarta than particle wood. Follow the instructions you see on line and you will do fine. I have started dying some lately so its kind of addictive.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
Cactus juice dye in the cactus juice. Single dye: follow your normal procedure. Double dye: soak in first color no vacuum. Cure as normal. Second color goes under vacuum then cure as normal. Easy money.

Chris623

Sorry, I don't understand your answer. Too cryptic for my old brain. Could you please clarify what you said?

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
Sure, I use cactus juice dye and I put it in Cactus Juice. To dye using a single color like just blue add the blue dye to the CJ and stabilize as normal. If want to double dye like yellow and blue then soak the wood in the first color mixed with CJ but do not pull a vacuum on the first color. After the soak cure the piece as normal. Then mix your second color with CJ and pull a vacuum on the second color. When you are done letting it soak (at least 24 hours) then cure it again.

Chris623

Thanks. Got it.

Do I have to use their proprietary dyes, or can I use others? Is their dye a water base or alcohol base?

Chris623

Another quick question about this Cactus Juice: I know the "destructions" say any liquid remaining can be saved, but they don't say whether or not the saved liquid can go back to the unused bottle or if it has to be saved in a different container. (I realize if I've died the material I wouldn't want to contaminate the entire bottle.)