Bear Knife-My Best So Far...

knifecarver

Since I started working on knives, I've had an urge to carve Bears. I'm glad I did! This is my favorite knife, so far. I'm just not sure if I like my carvings colored in, so Please Comment! Personally, I like the patina the carvings acquire with time, but they don't photograph well. I also stippled the guard and pommel and on the end of the pommel is a paw print. Thanks for looking!

Cathy (P.S. I'm looking for custom knives in my budget to work on.)
Bear & Cubs-Unpainted.jpg Bear & Cubs-Painted.jpg Bear Paw.jpg Bear-Painted.jpg Carved Bear-Unpainted.jpg

Last edited:

Clydetz

Buck 110 Collector and Casper's best friend
I like the uncolored version just a wee bit more than the colored version, Cathy. What is the handle material on that Bear Knife? What type of handle material do you like doing your carving on?

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
I love it. Great job.. The carving is very well done!! As to color or no color. I like a splash of color. a hint if you will. rather then fully colored. Allowing your mind to fill in the blanks and perceived depth and stuff.. To much color and they look like cartoons. :)

I will agree with you.. These carvings are some of the best I have seen from you yet.. Keep up the great work!

knifecarver

Thanks Gary and Randy for your comments. This handle is polished stag, like the wolf-pack knife and my favorite to carve in; so far. Buffalo Horn is interesting too.

knifecarver

Thanks Keith & rmbonham. The more I look at these pictures, the more I think the paint hides the depth of the carving. Next one I think I'll just stain a lite brown. My husband likes the color, so this just strengthens my argument.

Last edited:

Clydetz

Buck 110 Collector and Casper's best friend
Ya know Cathy... I've been looking several times at your bear carvings and might just like a little color. What do you think of just coloring the grass... green/green and the bear's eyes & nose... black. Let that be the only coloring.

ps... I've searched in my inventory of knives and have found one that it would be fitting to have your handiwork applied... think wolf/wolves. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and let you take a look at the knife.

Dan Pierson

I agree that these are your best carvings yet. Color is hard -- I'd like something in between.
Not so much color as shading to bring out more relief detail. Does that make sense?

knifecarver

Thanks Dan, I agree. I don't want my carvings to look like scrimshaw. Not that I'm knocking scrim. I'll try the splash of color on your knife, Gary. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

rhinoknives

Hello Cathy,
This is my first time viewing your Art work! I like them both and think both have a place.
I also would like to see a shading in a neutral of Grey or brown to just enhance the field of depth.

I trust that makes sense? It's 1:30 am here!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

knifecarver

Thank you Laurence and Eric! My husband will be glad to hear that you like it colored also. The next knife will have less color though, just enough to bring out the carving. Gary wants me to carve more wolves, so keep an eye out for them!

Travis Fry

I'm with the other guys. I think the color detracts from the workmanship (which is outstanding) and hides the quality of the craft and materials. Just my opinion. Nice work, in any case.

knifecarver

Thank you Craig and Travis for your kind comments. I needed to hear other opinion's and all you Dog's are a great boost to my morale.
Travis, you are fantastic artist. Don't stop drawing. To be able to draw naturally is a God given ability and I kick myself in the butt everyday I go to work for someone else because I never did anything with it till now!
Cathy