BB Help!!

Indian George

What am I doing wrong???:confused::confused::(
I am using the same powders as you.
The outside canister is SS, the center canister is 1018, 1/16 wall X 1".
I cleaned the canisters well (bead blasted). The 1" can had 4600ec, meteorite and Helen's ashes and on the outside was pure nickel (not touching each other). The rest was fill up with 1095. I sprayed WD-40 in it a number of times.
I had my controller on the forge. I put the canister in when I first lite the forge. I brought it up slowly to 1500 deg. and held for 15 minutes, then 1800 deg. for 15 minutes, then I brought it up to 2300 deg. for 10 minutes. Then put it right into the squaring dies.
Checkout the pic's.:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
The pure nickel shrinks badly. Did you pack it in tight? It looks like yours shrunk. I use a cheap (pawn shop) air chisel without the chisel bit to vibrate it down before closing the lid. Sometimes I even compact it from one end with my press and weld the lid on. It sounds like your heat procedure is great.

Last edited:
Is there any way to put it back in a canister, Seal it & heat it up to welding temp, & follow Bruce's advice to then compact it from one end with your press to re weld the billet?

Jason

Is there any way to put it back in a canister, Seal it & heat it up to welding temp, & follow Bruce's advice to then compact it from one end with your press to re weld the billet?

Jason

I see no reason why not. Just put it in a bigger canister and pack it tight. All the air needs to be displaced with powder. A piece of cardboard inside will burn off any trapped air before it can scale up enough to prevent the weld.

I did compacted it very well. I have used this procedure for sometime now, without any problems.
The only variable is a new can of WD40. I will do up another canister without the WD40 and with cardboard in it. I will post results.
Thanks Guys;)

You do realize that WD-40 is jet fuel, you could always get a can of karo as it's the same product minus scent.

You do realize that WD-40 is jet fuel, you could always get a can of karo as it's the same product minus scent.

Ken, We use to use WD-40 over in Nam when the BO got so bad we couldn't stand ourselves.

Hey IG, You didn't use a Bud can by mistake. I hope you can get it to work. 2thumbs

George, did you ever get the weld right on the ash canister?

So far so good.:D I got it all profiled , filework, heat treated and etc. today. I will grind it tomorrow and etch it. I'll post pic if I have time tomorrow.dancing dog. I didn't use any WD40 in it, I put a couple of pieces off of a Bud 30 pack instead.:confused: I added more ashes and meteorite to the canister. I also rebuild my welding forge this past weekend. Had that mother up to 2500.Jaw Drop
I hope to get it done for my HI this weekend.:D

It sounds like it worked good this time. What do you think the real problem was? Temp? WD 40 fumes?
Cant wait to see the finished knife.
Bruce

Well!!! My Lady was a stubborn Lil Portagee and it looks like she hasn't changed much. But I still love her.ride safe
I had it at 120 grit and etch it, as you can see nothing went to well with this attempted.

Last edited:
Well!!! My Lady was a stubborn Lil Portagee and it looks like she hasn't changed much. But I still love her.ride safe
I had it at 120 grit and etch it, as you can see nothing went to well with this attempted.

This is the new can? How deep is that blemish? Hollow grind it maybe?

I did up two more canisters yesterday. The first one didn't weld together to good. The second one was right on the money. The problem was that the canister was to big for my squaring dies and it was pinching the billet in the corners. When I turn it and press it on the opposite side it release it, but it didn't weld back to the billet.huh1 The second one I just used my flat dies.:confused::confused:

I did up two more canisters yesterday. The first one didn't weld together to good. The second one was right on the money. The problem was that the canister was to big for my squaring dies and it was pinching the billet in the corners. When I turn it and press it on the opposite side it release it, but it didn't weld back to the billet.huh1 The second one I just used my flat dies.:confused::confused:

I'm surprised it welded with just two sides at a time. I've always used square dies to weld canisters. Learn something everyday. Lets see it when you get ground into a blade.

Back