Barn wood scales...anyone done it?

Heikki

KNIFE MAKER
So here's the situation. The 125 year old barn on my Grandfather's farm is finally coming down. I'd like to make my father and his brothers all knives using this wood for handle scales after getting it stabilized. My thought is if I cut the pieces thin enough, I may be able to keep the silver/gray coloring on the outside once the scales are shaped, kind of like the bark on antler.

Has anyone done this or seen it done? It really looks like a good idea in my head, just not sure if it will execute as such.

No reason that wouldn't work. Thin it from the back side like stag. Make sure it's good wood... if it were just pine, for example, might not be so cool.

My concern with stabilizing the wood is losing the silver gray color if that is something you wish to keep. I have only stabilized maybe 20 blocks but they have to be cleaned up after curing and generally that is done by sanding the residue off. If the "patina" layer is thin you may sand some off. Now I have only stabilized wood in my home vacuum tank so commercial stabilizing may be different. Just something to think about.

What kind of wood is it? (Oak, pine etc)

It could be pine, spruce, cedar...no one is sure. My aunt should be shipping me a box of it. I was thinking of sending it off to K&G to get stabilized. I'll have a better idea if it'll work once I have it in hand.

That's a great idea Heikki. be aware though that if its too thin it's going to come back too you warped, even thick pieces may have some warp to them.
Personally.........I wouldn't be too concerned with loosing some of what might be the gray outer "bark" off the wood.
from what you stated this project is primarily for in laws knives in mind, and their going to know the wood originated from that 125 year old barn......and that is what is really going to matter to them. :D

I've seen a few old barns come down and have some *spectacular* wood in them.

Honestly, I would look it over real good before I had it stabilized. That weathered wood should be pretty darn stable by now. Maybe think about using a liner.

Back