Bandsaw blade teeth

JPSWorks

Hello everyone,

Getting ready to purchase more bimetal bandsaw blades for my portaband. I will be cutting titanium and stainless steels(cpm154, aebl) with them mostly. How many teeth per unit do you all usually like for cutting these types of metals.

John

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

It's more a mater of how thick the material is than what type. If you follow the blade manufacturing specks they call for three teeth in the material at any given time. Almost everything I cut is very thin so I happen to get 24tooth/ inch. If you try and get as low of tooth cut as you can, you run the risk of the steel dropping in between the teeth and ripping them off, thus shortening the life of the blade. If you get too high of count, you can have troubles with chips clearing and dulling the blade tips and having a slow cut. It's a fine balance... Ha

i would recommend you get a good blade. I happen to use Lenex blades but there are plenty of other good brands too. I would also recommend staying away from the cheap harbor freight blades.

Erik

Personally, I use an 18 tooth, 8% cobalt blade on my portabands (I have two, one setup in the finish shop, and the other in the "hot" shop.) I buy them by 25s or 50s off of Ebay. Most of the time it works out to about $2.50-$3.00 per blade, and the are FAR better/longer lasting blades then buying any of the 3-pak name brand blades, that generally cost about $7 or more per blade.

I've been buying all my portaband blades from this outfit for a few years now. Just make sure you take the time to READ the description, and choose the blades with 8% cobalt. They have gone up slightly in price, but they are still a solid value in poratband blades.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ricklow/m.h...1TtnomCHxnioR-bQ&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Last edited:
Thank you Erik and Ed.
I think I'm going to look into the 8% cobalt blades in the 18-24 tpi.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Back