As promised two Plunge-less knives with hamons

Chris Railey

The big knife has a Bocote handle and the smaller one is curly koa. As normal my pictures suck but I do think the etched blades make the Plunge-less look better. The perpendicular or out of place marks on the blades are from the masking tape I had them covered with. Any one have a great way to remove those without screwing the hamon up? I still need to do final cleanup on them but you can see the blades.

Attachments

• IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4488.jpg
    IMG_4488.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4493.jpg
    IMG_4493.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Good looking Hamons, especially on the bigger blade! you probably already mentioned in the other thread, but what was the steel? 1075?

-andy

Those are pretty.
How thick are the spines on those? Just curious - this other knife I have is going to be plungless. I'm still just under 3/16 at he spine which seems pretty thick still.

Good job! Man, those hamones pop! Question: is the smaller of the two knives still considered plungeless?
Yes, that is not a plunge line its part of what developed from the hamon. I tried something different on that one. I clayed the blade then heated the edge with an oxy acetylene torch mainly because it was hot in my shop and I did not wish to crank the forge up. Go figure, I bet I will never be able to make that happen on purpose.

Back