Anyone using Sandvik??

Steven Kelly

Forum Owner & Moderator
I have been considering using Sandvik 13c26 and/or 19c27 for a series of mid-tek knives I am preparing to start.
I have only used cpm154 for my stainless blades to this point, but due to the problems at crucible, I am looking for other options.
Has anyone been using either of these steels??
What are the pros and cons from both a makers view and a users view???

Thanks,

Steve

Steven, I use the Sanvik material. Good stuff and very clean! Brad at Peter's Heat Treat just did his magic to around 40 blades for me. I think it is better than ATS-34 and is just as good as most others. I do keep some in stock and its readily available. Price ain't bad either. 2thumbs

I'm in the same boat, CPM154 was my steel of choice and now I'm looking for an alternative, the 13c26 seems a little low on carbon content for my liking, I'm looking at the 19c27. I talked to Terry Summers at Admiral yesterday and he was telling me that the Sandvik very clean compared to most steels (except CPM) due to their process but to tell you the truth I'm hoping the Carpenter steel I've been hearing about comes more available soon.

Steven, I use the Sanvik material. Good stuff and very clean! Brad at Peter's Heat Treat just did his magic to around 40 blades for me. I think it is better than ATS-34 and is just as good as most others. I do keep some in stock and its readily available. Price ain't bad either. 2thumbs

Thanks for the input...I'm with Les.. The 13c26 carbon content scares me a bit. Although, Chuck Bybee swears it is the best stuff since tin foil !!!
What is your price for the 19c27 in 2x72, if I might ask????

Steven, I have to buy it from Admiral at the same price as anyone. We (Tracy and I) are looking into buying direct soon.

I've been thinking of trying the Sanvik steel also. You might want to take a look at 440C. I've found edge holding to be right there with CPM 154.
Scott

Steven, I have to buy it from Admiral at the same price as anyone. We (Tracy and I) are looking into buying direct soon.

I have been told that in order to buy direct from Sandvik, you have to buy a 2000# coil...

That's a bit more than I think I would use before it spoils!!!!:confused:

USING 440-C So does eddie white! He has always used 440-C as his primary stock steel for over 30 years. It is easy to heat treat, costs less, holds a great edge, easy for user to re-sharpen when needed.....did I leave anything out? :eek:

USING 440-C So does eddie white! He has always used 440-C as his primary stock steel for over 30 years. It is easy to heat treat, costs less, holds a great edge, easy for user to re-sharpen when needed.....did I leave anything out? :eek:

I know there are many makers who like 440C and the qualities you listed are all true. I won't argue more than a minute or two on the subject but 440C edge holding is not comparable to CPM154, but I'm not even sure thats what Scott was saying.

I should just keep my mouth shut when the subject of 440C comes up but it's just like turning on a switch that make me want to argue. :eek:

Edit: You left one very important thing out, it takes an excellent mirror polish.

Les! Yes, steel can be as touchy a subject as politics in the knife world! : )

I did mis-read, though....I thought the original mention was 440-C vs. 154CM

I guess it depends on the kind of knife maker one wants to be when they grow up.....Eddie stays flexible on steels because he truly does custom, custom work for folks. He always loved his 440-C and never had not one single complaint, BUT....alas.....the customers begin to ask for other steels and so, he tries to accommodate.

I have seen eddie mirror polish 440-c and it is nice, but I really like his satin finish that shows off those awesome grind lines.

The only reason I know about the Sandvik site is because the Sandvik salesman has been to the shop to visit.

Love ya!
Lora

Can i buy 5 mm 12c27 or 13c26 in US. I dont think there is any becouse they have stoped cutting it in smaler sheats. But maybe there is some somewere.
Have anyone test AEB-L its simular to 12c27. Just a little more crom in 12c27 and 13c26.

AEB-L: C-0,65 Si-0,4 MN-0,6 P-0,02 S-0,015 CR-12,8

12c27: C-0,6 Si-0,4 MN-0,4 CR-13,5

Seved

I am going to go ahead and order some of the Sandvik steel from Admiral and do some testing with it...
I'll let everyone know how it goes in a couple of weeks...

I bought Admirals 13c26 and 19c27 for my slip joints. So far I'm really impressed. I havent done extensive edge testing but I think for the price its the best bang out there. The 13c26 seems low on carbon but is the same as 5160 that passed my ABS performance test plus it wont rust. It reminds me of my SAK steel but much better edge holding. Its tough too. I had to tweek a folder blade just about .010" and it took an amazing amount of flex in the vice to move it over that small amount.

Check out the August issue of Blade entitled "Dream Steel" page 74.

I have Paul Bos ht mine until I get my own rockwell test anyway.

Back