Anyone making micarta?

Kev

I’ve got some material that is somewhat sentimental and I’d like it turned into micarta to use on some special knives.
If your a maker or know someone, let me know.

micarta is a name brand that basically no one can replicate. However I've had great luck making homemade "micarta" using fiberglass resin. Do a you tube search and you'll find TONS of info.

My most popular knife scale is home made blue jean "micarta" I have also made knife scales from a deceased persons favorite shirt and made it in "micarta". I've personally made kitchen knives that are used daily in my home that shows no sign of wear! Do a search of youtube and you'll get tons of results.

Last edited:

Kev

micarta is a name brand that basically no one can replicate. However I've had great luck making homemade "micarta" using fiberglass resin. Do a you tube search and you'll find TONS of info.

My most popular knife scale is home made blue jean "micarta" I have also made knife scales from a deceased persons favorite shirt and made it in "micarta". I've personally made kitchen knives that are used daily in my home that shows no sign of wear! Do a search of youtube and you'll get tons of results.
I didn’t realize it was a brand name, my bad.
I have made some before, with various degrees of success. Honestly I was hoping someone who has made lots of it with lots of success would step in. I just don’t want to mess it up. I’ll only get one shot at it.

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Are you using vacuum or a press to make it?
What resin are you using?