Anyone make mycarta anymore ??????

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
Doing some shop cleaning and I have some very nice white canvas.....

Anyone interested in making some mycarta I would be interested in some when they are done....

wall e

The wife and kids want to start making it. We thought it may be a fun family project. But as far as actually making at the moment, no. That will definately make a good lot of micarta.

TacticallySharp

KNIFE MAKER
Use to make some. These days I just use G10 which I got already made at Blade back in 2014. Got so much of it will be 4 or 5 years before I'll need anymore.

wall e

If you want some made we can speed up the family project and not cause any problems on either end.

wall e

Yuppers it made it safe and sound. Wife asked me what I ordered now. Lol We just have to use the family time wisely and get things going may use the days off over turkey day week and get some going.
Frank kinda inspired a shade tree/low buck/home done idea for a wip mabbe for the dying of and making different colors.

wall e

Will do, I picked up some green,red,purple,pink dye packets last night when I suffered through the shopping trip with the wife. Lol Well I guess it has become a habit to find things I need or can use whenever we go on a shopping trip together. Lol last time was 10 shoe box bins for handle woods an I still have too many blocks and raw chunks for her liking. Lol
Will start a WIP next week

Bill Hubbell

KNIFE MAKER
Walt-
I'm curious-what kind of dye did you find locally?

I'm also getting ready to make a few more slabs of micarta- My wife brought home some hot-pink burlap the other day, and said she thought I might want it for some micarta. I think she's maybe hinting for a little purse-knife.? Walmart sells what they call burlap ribbon. It's usually about 5.5" x 15 ft'. It fits my forms except for just cutting pieces to length. I like the 'less cutting' part. I'm trying to decide whether to leave it solid pink or add a few thin layers of black cloth to get some grain.

That will be great to see pictures of your mycarta project -and I like the way it sounded like you are gonna get the family involved! It'll be interesting to follow your project along.
Bill

wall e

The dye packets at walmart in the fabric section is what I got. It was by the tie dye kits I cant remember the name of it but that was the stuff I got.
I keep trying to find an old paper shear at a thrift store or garage sale for cheap and strike out every time. Lol
I agree with the less cutting part but hey the kids want to learn how to do things, lol they're 14&17 so I think they can be trusted with scissors? Lol use some purple construction paper or find some other color of burlap ribbon she likes. It does sound like a subtle hint for a little purse carry or "nail cleaner" lol

Ed of all trades

What you need is a rotary cutter, think pizza cutter for cloth. Wife says she would cut easy 4 layers at a time. She is a quilter and has cut 32 layers of material at once. I use one for my leather work. Ed

wall e

Thanks Ed, will add to the need to get list to submit to the accounting dept for approval. Lol